36v controller ? Handle 48volt battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Open it to find out, see what caps are rated for. One will need away of monitoring lvc in use, relying on the battery BMS is not ideal

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The general rule used to be you can get away with 44.4v on a 36v controller. But you are using at the edge or max of design specs. Usually I found the controller to be weakest link.

You will push motors, contollers and maybe batteries to their limits or beyond. I blew many bms, contollers and even a couple of motors by overvoltage

These days I under spec . Meaning I have system that runs at 24a but I set it at 21a . My motor and Co troller have over done 10k in a few years by doing this.

There is fun to be had by overvoltage but have time and/or money on your side would be by view. And just my experience and view of course

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Over volting can be fun as Kirstin says, tbh parts for hub bike sare generally cheap so not a great deal if a controller blows or a hubs fails.

I have only ever run my hubs at max controller current to see how fast I could go, think the most i saw watts wise was a tad over 850w with my q128c.
I usually run my hubs at 13 or 20% of controller current for my needs and that is also for towing, I often don't feel the need for more power unless i come across very hillyterrain or a one off steep climb. My current g370 is paired with a 22a controller so in pas1 I only see 125/130w or 2.86a in pas 2 I see 195/200w or 4.4a.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Open it to find out, see what caps are rated for. One will need away of monitoring lvc in use, relying on the battery BMS is not ideal
Ta what am I looking at lol. I'm planning on possibly making it 20amp too.
Alternatively I like to find a 42volt regulator so can run 48 volt battery would probably really save any issues

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh it is simpler to replace with a dual voltage or 48v controller, the mosfets may not be up to handling the extra heat.
One is looking for the main inrush capacitor voltage rating situated next to the shunt. One can add solder up one side of the shunt to a max of 25% to increase current , so you could raise it to about 18/19a but things may get hot in use..

Reactions: robert1976

Advertisers