4000w 60V 38Ah electric racing scooter

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand
Don't worry about making a video. Answering ALL of the questions asked will be of more use to us.

Did the fault you describe when turning the handlebars occur at the same time as the repair, or did it exist previously?

Do you own a multimeter?
no when I first got this scooter I noticed it would drop the voltage when turning left, then I noticed melting phase wires(blue+green), so I changed them all to stronger blocks, but the voltage fault started happening not long after it arrived and before the phase wire fix.
Now as I say, upon twisting throttle it jerks once then stops, same thing with turning it left -it jolts then stops.

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand
no when I first got this scooter I noticed it would drop the voltage when turning left, then I noticed melting phase wires(blue+green), so I changed them all to stronger blocks, but the voltage fault started happening not long after it arrived and before the phase wire fix.
Now as I say, upon twisting throttle it jerks once then stops, same thing with turning it left -it jolts then stops.

Attachments

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Please can you read my posts properly before replying. In nearly every reply there are questions that remain unanswered.

Again, do you own a multimeter?

Are you able to inspect the cables running from the handlebars for damage at the point where the handlebars fold down? It sounds like there is possibly an intermittent short/fault somewhere and experience tells me it could be at this point.

You mention the brake mounted on the handlebar. Is this just a mechanical brake, or is there also an electrical connection running from the brake handle (motor cutout)?

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello, what happened was when I looked under the footplate I noticed a couple of the phase wires(blue+yellow)were melting the plastic housing, so I replaced them with stronger solid brass connections, then the problems started. Upon turning ignition and twisting throttle it would jolt momentarily then stop dead, only occasionally turning it off then back in again would it work for a second jolt again then nothing, I stumped.
All the while the voltage meter stays level, what's going on?.
This is ridiculous and this gets me very agree because you should not have to be going through all this stress after departing with your money.

MS.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Sorry, but I have to jump in now and this is the third time, do you have a multimeter?
danielrlee has asked you twice for a simple answer and he is also willing to help. This will quicken the fault process.

MS.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Sorry, but I have to jump in now and this is the third time, do you have a multimeter?
danielrlee has asked you twice for a simple answer and he is also willing to help. This will quicken the fault process.

MS.
Actually that was the FIFTH time.

OP, these questions are not being asked just for the sake of it. Apologies if it appears that we are being a bit snappy with you, but we require answers to certain questions in order to aid troubleshooting.

• Agree
Reactions: mountainsport
D

Deleted member 4366

For information, OP sent me a PM on Saturday. I spelled out to her probable causes and which tests to do. Here's my reply to her question that was basically the same as post#1. Note the last sentence:

That's an interesting scooter. I've not see one before. In principle, the electrical system should be the same as an electric bicycle, so I can help you - maybe.

I have to make some assumptions because they don't give enough info about it. I will therefore assume that it uses a typical 3-phase brushless motor and conventional brushless motor controller. They all work the same, regardless of power.

I don't know what you know, so I'll start from the beginning. A three phase brushless motor is powered by pulses of power from the controller. The pulses have to come at the right time relative to when the magnets pass the coils. There's lots of magnets and coils in the motor in three groups, so lots of pulses are needed. The problem now is that you're not getting all the pulses at the right time. To find out why, you need to do electrical tests.

There's common causes for your problem:
1. A faulty connection on one of the motor wires.
2. A blown MOSFET in the controller.
3. A blown or faulty hall sensor in the motor. The three hall sensors give positional feedback to the controller.

If you had fault 1 or 3 you can get fault 2 consequentially. When a three phase motor won't turn because one phase is disconnected or a hall sensor doesn't give the timing signal, the controller is still giving full power when you open the throttle, but it's like there's a stick through the spokes. The end result is that you get massive current through the controller, which can't go anywhere so things heat up and blow. Therefore, you should never give more than a little bit of throttle when the motor won't turn. The reason that your voltage goes down is because of this very large current flowing, like a short circuit. As long as you didn't do it for too long, your controller might still be OK if the fault is 1 or 3 above.

There's electrical tests for each of the three causes, for which you need a multimeter, but you can check the easy things first. Do these tests in this sequence:

1. Follow the wires from the motor to the controller. Check every connector to make sure that they're properly together and that all the pins are where they should be.
2. Check that there's no damage to the motor wires anywhere.
3. Rotate the wheel by hand in both directions. You should be able to feel a bit of resistance as each magnet passes each coil, so a bit notchy as it turns. If it sticks or is very difficult to turn, it means that there's a problem in the motor or controller. If you identify this fault, do test 4.
4. Disconnect the motor from the controller and try again. If it turns like it should the problem is in the controller. If it's the same, it's in the motor.

Let me know the results of these tests, then we can take it further. Please don't jump to conclusions and do other tests. If you follow my guidelines, you'll get to the cause quickly.

Then I sent her this:

Some additional info:
It appears that a company in USA designed and makes this scooter in a quality version, then the Chinese got hold of one and started rip-off copies.

Here's the original with the drive on the left side:
http://www.works-electric.com/b14/

Here's a British seller selling a Chinese rip-off, which might be the same as yours. In the actual photo, it shows the drive on the right side, though the details below are lifted directly from the Works Electric web-site and shows a left side drive. This supplier might have spare parts.
http://www.e-scooters.co.uk/street-riders-thunderchief-4000w-racing-electric-scooter-586-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldtom and Artstu

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand
lwa

OP, these questions are not being asked just for the sake of it. Apologies if it appears that we are being a bit snappy with you, but we require answers to certain questions in order to aid troubleshooting.
sorry for late reply, and i really am sorry for being so vague regarding some details, apologies for not being so specific and detailed when i clearly should have been..
i dont have a multimeter nor the expertise.
Now it is accelerating by itself when turning left, jolts once then nothing, twist throttle nothing, turn scooter left and it jerks forward.

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP AND ASSISTANCE ON THIS FORUM GUYS, BUT IM RESIGNING MYSELF TO THE FACT THAT I WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAVE THIS HING WORKING AGAIN.
THE COMPANY "ETHON BIKE TECHNOLOGY" ARE NOT ANSWERING MY CALLS, E-MAILS OR WHATSSAPP,
I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY MONEY, INVESTIGATED THIS COMPANY AND SCOOTER INTERNALLY A LOT SOONER.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
lwa

sorry for late reply, and i really am sorry for being so vague regarding some details, apologies for not being so specific and detailed when i clearly should have been..
i dont have a multimeter nor the expertise.
Now it is accelerating by itself when turning left, jolts once then nothing, twist throttle nothing, turn scooter left and it jerks forward.

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP AND ASSISTANCE ON THIS FORUM GUYS, BUT IM RESIGNING MYSELF TO THE FACT THAT I WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAVE THIS HING WORKING AGAIN.
THE COMPANY "ETHON BIKE TECHNOLOGY" ARE NOT ANSWERING MY CALLS, E-MAILS OR WHATSSAPP,
I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY MONEY, INVESTIGATED THIS COMPANY AND SCOOTER INTERNALLY A LOT SOONER.
Give us a rough idea of your location. If I'm close in the next few weeks (and I might be) I wil be happy to take a look.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Alan or others may help if they are close.
Your thing has a working motor, the turn the bars shows this it also hints very strongly that broken wires are making contact when the bars are turned. You know it's a bit like cross word puzzles fault finding its a challenge and give pleasure when you fix it. So keep up and let us know roughly where you are. Then PM address to who ever is closest offers help and has a good feedback on site. Not someone who joined yesterday.
Me I'm south west so I'm out.

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand

Right ok, first apologies for being so vague with the full details at first, I have been very busy and preoccupied.
I now have a multimeter, how do I go about using this multimeter to check for faults?.
And again "Thank You" for all of your your help and assistance danielrlee..

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand
Alan or others may help if they are close.
Your thing has a working motor, the turn the bars shows this it also hints very strongly that broken wires are making contact when the bars are turned. You know it's a bit like cross word puzzles fault finding its a challenge and give pleasure when you fix it. So keep up and let us know roughly where you are. Then PM address to who ever is closest offers help and has a good feedback on site. Not someone who joined yesterday.
Me I'm south west so I'm out.
Fordulike I think that you are over exaggerating a fair bit its £2499.99 :)
That sit is fake mate, the last one was called e-skate-boards.co.uk, they were taken down for multiple fraud, the sit has no phone number and just like the last one it states itself as as "distributor and supplier" of electric scooters and skateboards. It's fake.

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand
Please can you read my posts properly before replying. In nearly every reply there are questions that remain unanswered.

Again, do you own a multimeter?

Are you able to inspect the cables running from the handlebars for damage at the point where the handlebars fold down? It sounds like there is possibly an intermittent short/fault somewhere and experience tells me it could be at this point.

You mention the brake mounted on the handlebar. Is this just a mechanical brake, or is there also an electrical connection running from the brake handle (motor cutout)?
There is an electrical connection going from brake clutch to controller, it is like a manual cut off, but I disconnected it.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Have you been able to inspect the electrical cables that run from the handlebars to the controller for any obvious signs of damage? The point at which the handlebars fold is an area that is particularly prone to damage or failure.

Mrs Tracey Connolly

Sep 24, 2016
north east Enlgand
Have you been able to inspect the electrical cables that run from the handlebars to the controller for any obvious signs of damage? The point at which the handlebars fold is an area that is particularly prone to damage or failure.
Yes I have and it all seems fine, strange thing is that now the voltage dropping issue is fixed, the handle bar wire tension was too tight and now I does not drop when turning left.
but now it runs for a few second then I hear a grunt under my feet then it shuts off, but when I switch the ignition to LED lights it again works again for a second then stops!, turning it off then on again does this over and over again, what is going on?.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Yes I have and it all seems fine, strange thing is that now the voltage dropping issue is fixed, the handle bar wire tension was too tight and now I does not drop when turning left.
but now it runs for a few second then I hear a grunt under my feet then it shuts off, but when I switch the ignition to LED lights it again works again for a second then stops!, turning it off then on again does this over and over again, what is going on?.
Make sure the battery is fully charged and try again.

One of your pictures showed 54 volts, which is a bit low for a 60 volt battery.

Advertisers