650b+ tyres on a 650b rim??

Gez

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2015
Ribble Valley Lanc's
I'm just looking at the possibility of fitting Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Plus tyres to my Sduro allmtn rc mine are 2,35 and the plus size are 3.00. anyone done it? looking at the aperture they should fit in with the rear being the tighter fit, not cheap though at £44 each as apposed to £25 for the 2.35 650b. Thoughts please..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why do you want tyres that wide ? dont think id want bigger than 2.35 on the rear.

have 2.3 on front of mine

Reactions: EddiePJ

Gez

Nov 13, 2015
Ribble Valley Lanc's
having rode with another who has them. I think it might be beneficial especially for the muddy rocky slippy stuff out there at the moment.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'd sooner drop tyre pressures before changing tyres and certainly wouldn't be looking at going up in size, especially given the fact that you risk clogging up the seat and chain stays at the first hint of proper mud, along with soon to follow locked wheels.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
having rode with another who has them. I think it might be beneficial especially for the muddy rocky slippy stuff out there at the moment.
For me I find that a good part of the grip is through the tyres partially sinking into the mud.
Not tried but I would imagine that very wide tyres would sit on the mud and give very little grip.

Went out yesterday and it was more like water skiing at speed down hill. It was only the tyre sinking into the surface that made it possible to steer and stay on course.

If you do buy them, please let us know how they perform.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
For me I find that a good part of the grip is through the tyres partially sinking into the mud.
I totally agree with that, and would happily reduce my current 2.25 tyre size if riding in mud only.

In fact having cyclo cross tyres on my Haibike Cross worked really well, and from looking at all of the cyclo cross tyre marks last weekend, they actually get around very well when the going gets tough. I'd rather not want to risk that width on sketchy terrain though. Rocks and roots can be tricky at the best of times. For my very mixed terrain, light off road use 2.25 width is just about right.

Reactions: Gez and SRS

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Yes you can, but they probably won't fit your frame and fork, atleast not 3.0" tires. Maybe look for bigger 2.4" or 2.5" tires (Continental X-King or Trail King 2.4, WTB Breakout 2.5 etc)? They are pretty tall too so they add more volume to the tires. Rims should be wide enough too to handle the tires.

Wide/big tires are great for rocks and roots. For mud maybe not, you will be sliding over mud with not much grip.

Yes you can, but they probably won't fit your frame and fork, atleast not 3.0" tires. Maybe look for bigger 2.4" or 2.5" tires (Continental X-King or Trail King 2.4, WTB Breakout 2.5 etc)? They are pretty tall too so they add more volume to the tires. Rims should be wide enough too to handle the tires.

Wide/big tires are great for rocks and roots. For mud maybe not, you will be sliding over mud with not much grip.
No no no, you can't. Its not just about the width of the tread.

650b and 650b+ are not the same size wheels!!

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
No no no, you can't. Its not just about the width of the tread.

650b and 650b+ are not the same size wheels!!
Take a look at the diagram you posted. 650b+ and 650b rims have the same bsd. Plus tires fit the same rims. Although for plus tires wider rims are usually used (30-50mm inner width).

It's all about tyre clearance horizontally and verticly (plus tires are wider and taller) . Some 27.5 frames might have room for plus tires (but most probably not). Usually 650b+ wheels are retro fitted in 29ers because of clearance or 650b+ specific frames.

Last edited:

Gez

Nov 13, 2015
Ribble Valley Lanc's
Yes that's a good article. The 650b+tyres will probably fit my rims but the rolling radius (or dia) is greatly increased from 702mm to 740mm which is too tall for a haibike allmtn rc rear end but it may squeeze within the front forks (taken some measurements) however it would look a bit odd. might try it and report back.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why do you want a 3.0 wide tyre on the front? it will make the bike under steer round tight corners and ride over mud than cut through it.

Advertisers