Wisper 806SE not charging

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Hello, I am enquiring for a friend who bought an 806SE but has not been able to get much use out of it as it won't recharge from its charger.
When battery is discharged it won't recharge.
I have read the manual and connected battery and charger as per but the charger light stays on green, and while the charger shows a 42v output (at its coaxial IMG-20190612-WA0000.jpegplug) on a meter, nothing seems to go into the battery.
Can't read any voltage from coaxial socket on battery.
Tried to charge it 3 times now, 3hrs each time (not overnight, as per manual), only green light on charger, down to 1red & 1green & 1almost on battery.
Display says 4 bars out of 5.
Should i run it down more and see if it takes a charge then?
Thanks for your help.
Mikel

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Best contact Wisper for advice whether in or out of warranty David the owner is very passionate about his brand and is a very helpful person.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Check the charge fuse in the battery.

If you have a voltmeter, remove the battery and tell us the voltage you have across the two battery terminals (usually, the outer two) and tell us what it is. It can tell us a lot about the cause of your problem..

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
After another approx 4 miles:
Battery now shows 1red & 1green on its charge indicator and 35.1v on + - terminals. It has no user accessible fuses and an anti tamper seal on its case;
Display showed 3 bars out of 5;
Charger plugged into battery and showing green light, I'll leave it like that for 4hrs and see if any change.
Cheers
Mikel
Edit. Oops, i meant 35.1, not 31.5, tsk!

Attachments

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The battery is flat and not charging. The green light doesn't mean much except that the charger is plugged into the wall. You now need to measure the voltage on the charger output connector and the battery's charger socket. If the battery has a 6mm jack socket, you have to be very careful not to short out the middle pin to the edge blade when measuring. Easiest is to use a spare jack cut off an old charger, from which you strip back the wires so that you can attach your meter probes.

Sorry, I didn't look at the photos. If I understand right, the battery charge socket has no voltage on it. That means that either the internal management system has switched it off or the internal fuse is blown. whatever it is, you have to open the battery to find out. If it's still under warranty, it'll have to go back to Wisper.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
After 4.5hrs+ more 'charging' the battery is still at 35.1v. So I have not been able to get this charger to charge this battery after 3+3+3+4.5 hours of trying. Don't know what else to try. Does Wisper have a solution please? Thanks.
Mikel
Edit: Oops again, 35.1 not 31.5v, tsk2!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery likely may have an internal charge fuse, so may be reason no charging takes place if it has blown.
Sometimes it is possible to get a voltage reading from the battery charge port, but it isn't always easy and shorting can occur.

In all cases though if under warranty Wisper will sort the issue out.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Thanks to nealh and vfr400 for their answers. The battery and charger were returned to dealer under warranty, for a third time, and a new battery is said to be on the way.
So hopefully that'll be the cure.
It'd be interesting to know what kept happening though, out of curiosity.
Thanks to Wisper for prompt action.
Cheers,
Mikel

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Forgot to mention, the label on the bottom of the 'Sans' brand charger said it is a 3A charger, I seem to remember. If this makes any difference.
Cheers
Mikel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pleased you are all but sorted Wisper, like Woosh and Juicy all have a very good rep on here for the way they deal with issues and customers. Occasionally the odd bad slag off occurs but usually not down to the companies mentioned but mainly due to buyers who are impatient or expect something for nothing when they buy a second hand bike.

Batteries or charger can be a simple solution but if it means opening then warranty can be voided so always best to go down that route first, being a UK seller makes life easier as they will arrange collection delivery.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Have been running the bike around on what apparently is its 3rd battery and 2nd charger. But guess what, it still won't take a charge!
So after tens of hours of a green light on the Sans charger I've returned the charger and battery to the dealer for the 4th time. More than disappointing, dragging on so long, esp as bike runs fine apart from a surging quirk. Between 14mph & 15.5mph, full power, no power, full power, etc ..ad infinitum. Strange.

Anyway let's see what Wisper do to resolve the non-charging issue first please, thanks.
Thoughts:
1. Are the charger plug & batt socket +&- actually making contact?
2. Does the charger supply any current to go with the 42v showing?
3. Does the battery accept the 3A charge or is it blocking it coz its more than the 2A its expecting or another reason?
4. Has the battery got an input fuse fitted? Has the fuse blown? And if so why? see 3.
Regards,
Mikel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is the fuse in the 13a plug actual good, does it even have one fitted ?

When the Sans show a steady green when everything is fine it means the batteries BMS will not except more charge so an indication that a cell group has reached max voltage or the battery is charged.
Other reasons for a green led is another fault most likely a wiring, fuse or BMS issue.

1. We can't answer only you can or someone with the items in front of them.
2. It will supply what ever current is stated on the base, in your case 3a during the charge then this will decrease when balancing occurs to as little as 100ma or so.
3. BMS do have max amperage input but 3a isn't high so should not be an issue and most will accept up to 5a.
4. Not opened one but possible it may have.

In your case although frustrating only Wisper can open the battery for diagnosis to prevent the warranty being voided unless they instruct otherwise.

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Hi vfr400. Its a 2018 model afaik & isn't current supposed to tail off smoothly? Full on & full off repeatedly can't be good for battery, I'dve thought.
Hi nealh. As new batt works fine otherwise, down to 34.7v last time, charger light should go red while charging according to the manual. So back in hands of dealer & Wisper who have the kit & skill to find the problem and fix.
Cheers, Mikel

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Well, the 3rd? new charger supplied by Wisper via dealer last week, appears to have charged the battery from 2leds to 4leds out of 4 on battery's indicator. And the charger's light changed from red to green, hallelujah. So we'll see how it goes tomorrow..
Cheers. Mikel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Another good result, at least you have got there in the end. Wisper are one of the good guys and sometimes faults/components do go wrong as they are generally China mass produced, although inconvenient when they fail.

Advertisers