905se bottom bracket

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Can anyone tell me what type it is?
It looks at first sight like cup and cone but there's no holes for a pin spanner. I can't see the splines to undo a cartridge so I'm a bit confused. I don't want to go exploring in case it is cup and cone and I loosen it off but I want to have the right tools ready to service it when required.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Edit:is the left hand side a right or left hand thread?

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Never gone looking down there!

I'd expect it to be a cartridge and that it would last for years, bottom brackets on electrics obviously being subject to lesser forces than normal bikes.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
OK, Dick at Wisper has sent me a link to the manufacturers spec sheet and I think it shows me that it's an old style cup and cone BB*.

Apart from the lockring it doesn't look like standard tools can be used, a pin wrench won't be much use here and I think if I try to service this there's a good chance I won't finish in a civilised mood. The cranks are also the cheaper nut fastening type** so the whole lot needs doing at once. :rolleyes:
I guess I've done about 3000 miles so far so I'm a little concerned about the longevity of the parts. As an unusable bike costs me £10 a day I'd rather be proactive in my servicing but this is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. I don't really want to buy tools to use once so I will be adopting the removal by destruction technique on the OE parts and just buying the relevant tools for the new parts. I need to make sure I get the right parts and that they will fit. Time for a thread on BB upgrades in the main forum I think.

* Please correct me if I'm wrong.
** Another complication, apparently the left hand nut is designed to come loose in use and the dust cap stops it falling off. My dust cap fell off and now I keep having to tighten the nut, but when it is ridden with a loose nut the tapered faces of the crank become damaged rendering the crank u/s. Those 2 statements don't really work together unless the dust cap stops the nut getting as loose as it does, I'm a bit blind here.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
OK, Dick at Wisper has sent me a link to the manufacturers spec sheet and I think it shows me that it's an old style cup and cone BB*.

Apart from the lockring it doesn't look like standard tools can be used, a pin wrench won't be much use here and I think if I try to service this there's a good chance I won't finish in a civilised mood. The cranks are also the cheaper nut fastening type** so the whole lot needs doing at once. :rolleyes:
I guess I've done about 3000 miles so far so I'm a little concerned about the longevity of the parts. As an unusable bike costs me £10 a day I'd rather be proactive in my servicing but this is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. I don't really want to buy tools to use once so I will be adopting the removal by destruction technique on the OE parts and just buying the relevant tools for the new parts. I need to make sure I get the right parts and that they will fit. Time for a thread on BB upgrades in the main forum I think.

* Please correct me if I'm wrong.
** Another complication, apparently the left hand nut is designed to come loose in use and the dust cap stops it falling off. My dust cap fell off and now I keep having to tighten the nut, but when it is ridden with a loose nut the tapered faces of the crank become damaged rendering the crank u/s. Those 2 statements don't really work together unless the dust cap stops the nut getting as loose as it does, I'm a bit blind here.

Bit of an old post but I thought I'd reply in case it was any use. On the crank side I had exactly the same issue with a bike about 16 years ago. The crank kept on loosening falling off. I eventually got it to stick by basically hammering it on (not suggested), but I have read since that basically if this happens more than once the crank gets imperceptably distorted so it's best to just chuck it and start again! grrrr

Hope it's of some help!

Cheers

Steve

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Bit of an old post but I thought I'd reply in case it was any use. On the crank side I had exactly the same issue with a bike about 16 years ago. The crank kept on loosening falling off. I eventually got it to stick by basically hammering it on (not suggested), but I have read since that basically if this happens more than once the crank gets imperceptably distorted so it's best to just chuck it and start again! grrrr

Hope it's of some help!

Cheers

Steve
Unfortunately I have reached the distorted phase and although it's rammed on and holding so far I need to replace it. Now I either need to buy an entire chainset or have odd cranks, thankfully neither option is horrendously expensive but finding and replacing the chainset will be a PITA.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Unfortunately I have reached the distorted phase and although it's rammed on and holding so far I need to replace it. Now I either need to buy an entire chainset or have odd cranks, thankfully neither option is horrendously expensive but finding and replacing the chainset will be a PITA.
Ahaaaa! Searching the park tools web site it looks like this:

Park Tool Website

might fit!

Cheers

Steve

Advertisers