A real spring day

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
So there we were. Lovely spring afternoon. Bright sun, not a cloud in the sky. Just the day to walk down to the Ham and try out our brand spanking new,Aldi-special, kites. As neither of us had flown a kite in 40 years this was a bit exciting.

Kite No1 was taken out of the bag, assembled according to the very precise instructions, and prepared for take off.
I held the kite in the air- nothing happened.
"You have to run" she said "then let go".
I ran. I let go. The kite fell to the ground.
"Again" she said "But faster"
Off I trundled, kite aloft. After 30 yards, the kite filled with air, pulled upward.
"Lift off" she cried
The kite fell to the ground.
"You have a try" I offered.
A small crowd, 4 people, 2 dogs, had now gathered thinking they had stumbled on a remake of "Last of the Summer Wine"

She picked up the kite with the look that is only gained from years of experience, ran with the speed and grace of Mo Mowlam in the clothes of Mo Farah., thrust the kite skyward, pulled on the string. "Lift off". The kite fell to the ground for a third time.

Watching people laugh, dogs yawn and sniff bottoms.

We re-read the instructions:
Kite is assembled correctly - check.
The plastic bag has not been given to a child - check
The kite has not been tumble dried - check.
We have not been temped to eat the kite - check.
The kite is not being flown near power lines - check
The kite is not being flown in strong winds - err no. In fact, for the first day this year there is no wind at all. The leaves are still. The flags on the pleasure boats hang forlorn.

We quickly pack the kite and scurry off with as much dignity as we can muster, promising to return in another 40 years.

Advertisers