A strange battery problem

TheBikeMan

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
Cardff UK
I start by saying that I build batteries from scratch and can repair most non fatal issues. This one has me scratching my head. I it is a 36V 375w battery. The bike was not coming on at all so I put a power supply to it and it is fine. So I check the voltage of the battery and the voltage is fine measuring at 38.6V. I have a battery load tester so I hook it up to that and the battery immediately drops to 18V. I haven't started the load test on the tester. Just hooking it up to the tester so that the tester can read the battery causes it to drop to 18V. I tested the voltage into and out of the BMS and it has 38V going in but only 18v coming out So I changed the BMS and it is still the same. Any thoughts? Thanks all.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The cause is likely due to one of the blocks in the serial chain is damaged.
As soon as there is a load, the faulty block's voltage drops, the BMS will cut off the output.
put the battery on a load directly between B+ and B-, then check the voltage of the balance wires to B-.

Reactions: witzend

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Imv either a cell bank or two are shot or cells in a bank or two are shot, which ever it is they are bringing the pack down.

Advertisers