A way to fix 36v 14ah Lithium battery?

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Hi guys.

I bought an ezee kit and fitted it to my bike about 3 years ago and used it on average twice per week for about 6 months. after that i used it sporadically but usually charged it after use and stored it to then use it probably every month or so on average.

more recently i have used it rarely, probably every few months but it has still been okay.

about a month ago i used it but noted it hardly had any charge in it, i simply presumed i'd forgot to charge it when i had put it away so i charged it when i got home and put it away. today i used it and again it was nearly depleted so i knew something was wrong. when i attached the charger the led that should have been yellow to indicate charging was green straight away as if it was fully charged.

i have emailed cyclezee who i bought it from who stated that it was probably cream-crackered and although they could charge me £20 plus postage, this was only to confirm that is was broken, not to fix it.

so, my question is first is there any way of fixing it myself with any special charging method or such like, or is there anywhere that can fix it low cost?

as i dont use it anymore as a method of transport to work i cant justify paying a lot for a new battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

We can get an idea of what's wtong if you measure the voltage. Charge it right up and measure the voltage on the terminals. Ride it 'til it stops and measure the voltage immediately it stops, then after half an hour neasure it again.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
We can get an idea of what's wtong if you measure the voltage. Charge it right up and measure the voltage on the terminals. Ride it 'til it stops and measure the voltage immediately it stops, then after half an hour neasure it again.
Cheers d8veh, sorry for the late reply but i had to get my hands on a volt metre. Not sure how to use it but there was a specific section for V so i tested with the 20v setting and it showed 0.10 and when changing it to 200v 00.1 showed which i guess is the same thing.
I might be able to run it down tomorrow and then i will test again. Do i test straight after the bike stops or do i try to drain the battery even more by leaving the leds on to drain the last bits?

D

Deleted member 4366

You haven't measured properly. Did you set your meter to DC or AC? It would probably best if you show us a photo of it as you had set it for measuring.

D

Deleted member 4366

That looks OK. Now measure your car battery to check that it's working properly. You should get around 13v.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
I'll check later but just to clarify i put the black probe in the black contact and red in red so i think i did it right. So the only check is as you say to make sure the metre works.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
You haven't measured properly. Did you set your meter to DC or AC? It would probably best if you show us a photo of it as you had set it for measuring.
I just read a few things on the Internet regarding this sort of problem and they also stated they were only getting 0.1v

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't jump to conclusions. A measured logical approach will get you directly to the cause of your problem.

D

Deleted member 4366

Right, so the meter's working correctly. Which Ezee battery do you have? Does it have a switch on it? Perhaps some photos would help.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Right, so the meter's working correctly. Which Ezee battery do you have? Does it have a switch on it? Perhaps some photos would help.
It's a 36v 14ah rack battery. I'll take a picture in a couple of hours when I'm home again.

C

Cyclezee

Hi guys.

I bought an ezee kit and fitted it to my bike about 3 years ago and used it on average twice per week for about 6 months. after that i used it sporadically but usually charged it after use and stored it to then use it probably every month or so on average.

more recently i have used it rarely, probably every few months but it has still been okay.

about a month ago i used it but noted it hardly had any charge in it, i simply presumed i'd forgot to charge it when i had put it away so i charged it when i got home and put it away. today i used it and again it was nearly depleted so i knew something was wrong. when i attached the charger the led that should have been yellow to indicate charging was green straight away as if it was fully charged.

i have emailed cyclezee who i bought it from who stated that it was probably cream-crackered and although they could charge me £20 plus postage, this was only to confirm that is was broken, not to fix it.

so, my question is first is there any way of fixing it myself with any special charging method or such like, or is there anywhere that can fix it low cost?

as i dont use it anymore as a method of transport to work i cant justify paying a lot for a new battery.
Hi Marc,

Firstly, in our communications I did not use the expression "cream crackered".

I explained that the testing would not fix the problem but we would run a dynamic load test and establish the remaining capacity of the battery.
I did suggest that you measure the voltage with a multimeter.
I see from your photos that you are testing on the output side, for this you need to have battery switched on.

Last edited by a moderator:

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Hi Marc,

Firstly, in our communications I did not use the expression "cream crackered".

I explained that the testing would not fix the problem but we would run a dynamic load test and establish the remaining capacity of the battery.
I did suggest that you measure the voltage with a multimeter.
I see from your photos that you are testing on the output side, for this you need to have battery switched on.
thanks, the term is just my way of saying that it was broken without saying as much, at least thats what i understood from your email. you're right though you didnt specifically say that.

as of testing the battery on the output i tried putting the metre's probes into the charging holes in all possible configurations such as black in 1 and red in 2, black in 2 red in 3 etc and none of them gave any reading at all. if it needs to be tested the way i am doing it, are you saying to turn the key to on while not connected to the bike?

i did then try running the battery down by raising the back wheel and keeping the throttle on. as there wasnt any resistance such as my weight it is taking forever but i will keep going until all juice is exhausted.

cheers so far guys.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ah, that'll be your problem then. Yes, it will need to be switched on to test it.

Running it down by running 'no load' as you are doing could take a long time. Many hours if the battery is good. (maybe 10 or more)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Woosh and Oxy batteries both have to be on to get a voltage charge reading.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Right, i charged it for about 4 hours, turned it on and checked with the metre. 32.6v was the reading. Tomorrow i should be able to run it down and I'll check again.
Do i need to run it down every last little bit? Or simply until it stops while I'm riding it?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
No need. If it's a 36v battery, and its only getting to 32v, then either it or the charger are faulty. Next check the output voltage of the charger.

Advertisers