Adapt a Kalkhoff to on/off button

Richard Paul

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2018
Ashby de la zouch
I live 10 miles south of Derby.

Anyone know an e-bike engineer within 50 miles that can adapt my 2013 Pro Connect Kalkhoff to a switch only (on/off) control. [ My screen type controller has failed and is £200 +labour to get a new one. Plus the 'when-will-the-new-one-fail' headache.]
Possibly also to put a motor on the front wheel powered by a second battery and control system. [Yes I will need a licence as it will go more than 15mph.]

Thanks.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I live 10 miles south of Derby.

Anyone know an e-bike engineer within 50 miles that can adapt my 2013 Pro Connect Kalkhoff to a switch only (on/off) control. [ My screen type controller has failed and is £200 +labour to get a new one. Plus the 'when-will-the-new-one-fail' headache.]
Possibly also to put a motor on the front wheel powered by a second battery and control system. [Yes I will need a licence as it will go more than 15mph.]

Thanks.
Can't help with the derby dealer recommend. Maybe others will know what screen it is. Maybe you can just buy a replacement from China ?

The paragraph about a second motor ..., perfectly possible to have a second motor on front....but how this will interact with a crank drive I don't understand . You will certainly need another entire kit (front hub)and a much more expensive battery capable of powering two systems. How will that work? Turn the crank system off and then the front hub on at 15mph manually ? That's very user unfriendly . Is the idea a low torque /fast speed hub ?

As for licensing, jeez Louise, that's a very complicated ball game. Successfully done by may be one or two members ever.

Would it fair to say the true questions are

1. Can I get a cheap replacement LCD for a 2013 pro connect , and

2. How can I make it go faster ?

My gut feel is sell the kalkhoff and buy something that suits your needs (whatever they are, if you tell us we'll help)

Others more knowledge may prove me wrong about this but I'd be amazed if a front hub conversion made any performance or economical sense [emoji4] !

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you show us a picture of the LCD.

Also, there were several completely different 2013 pro Connect models. can you show us which one you have.

It's almost impossible to convert your Kalkhoff how you want. It would probably be easier and cheaper to sell it for spares and buy a new bike; however, it depends which model you have.

Richard Paul

May 4, 2018
Ashby de la zouch
Can you show us a picture of the LCD.

Also, there were several completely different 2013 pro Connect models. can you show us which one you have.

It's almost impossible to convert your Kalkhoff how you want. It would probably be easier and cheaper to sell it for spares and buy a new bike; however, it depends which model you have.

Attachments

Richard Paul

May 4, 2018
Ashby de la zouch
Thanks Spanos and d8veh. Picture of the controller on previous post.
To be clear, what I want to do is have two power systems on my bike. The front wheel will have a dynamo and battery and an on/off switch on the left handlebar, and the back wheel will have a different system with a dynamo, another battery and another on/off switch on the right handle bar. No controllers! to go wrong! Any ideas? Cheers.

Advertisers