Adding thumb throttle...problem

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
i have just bought a thumb throttle to add to my wife's Hopper Shopper SE.. This one , http://www.banggood.com/78in-Universal-Thumb-Throttle-Speed-Control-E-Bike-Electric-Bike-Scooter-3-Wires-p-982047.html..

I followed the advice on here, removed the cover and found the spare 3 pin connector, red , black and yellow...connected the thumb throttle up red to red, black to black and green to yellow....and it doesn't work ???..

Is there something else I need to do? Or is it the made in China throttle that may be faulty ? Is there a way to check that the controller works on throttle input without using the throttle? Or is there a way to check the throttle is working ok? Etc etc ....any help appreciated...please note I know and understand very little about electrics.....:(

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
A basic one but my ability to use it is limited ...so any simple instruction would be great ...

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
Quick update...my brother popped round...we have tested the throttle and it works fine..eventually I think we have traced the fault....the sensor wire from the controller isn't properly soldered to the PCB... Brother coming back later to resolder it...will report back if it works or not.....

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
Well, it didn't work...the joint was definitely dry and there is now connectivity, but there is still no response when you use the throttle...( moving it varies the voltage from approx 1v to 4v ...) just put it all back together to await inspiration .... image.jpgimage.jpg

wireman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2014
Have you tried using the throttle whilst the bike is being pedalled? I just thought that maybe the controller is programmed to be 'europe' compliant requiring the bike to be pedalled to enable the throttle?

Reactions: Gedge

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
Thanks...I haven't as i thought it would defeat the object of fitting it, but if it offers more control than the PAS then I suppose it's worth a go......I will try it and report back...

Advertisers