advice for £1000 emtb build

sachashoes

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2020
I'd like to build an e bike to wizz me around the south downs, for nothing much heavier than trail riding.

I was thinking about using a bafang mid-mounted motor so could anyone recommend a hardtail mtb that would be compatible with it, have reasonably good front suspension and which would take the total build cost to around £1k if the bike was bought second hand.

Also, this will be my first time attempting an e bike conversion, and while I fully expect to make many terrible mistakes, it would be a great help to know exactly what tools I'll need before I start

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I'd like to build an e bike to wizz me around the south downs, for nothing much heavier than trail riding.

I was thinking about using a bafang mid-mounted motor so could anyone recommend a hardtail mtb that would be compatible with it, have reasonably good front suspension and which would take the total build cost to around £1k if the bike was bought second hand.

Also, this will be my first time attempting an e bike conversion, and while I fully expect to make many terrible mistakes, it would be a great help to know exactly what tools I'll need before I start
The Bafang motor replaces the bottom bracket, so probably any hard tail will do (famous last words!).

I'd be looking for a frame of the right size and a good set of forks, and not be worrying about too much else.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any generic BB with an English thread will work, avoid press fit BB's, Carbon bikes and eccentric BB's. Typically a 68mm BB is preferred though one can get away with 73mm BB. One other thing to watch out for is the rear horizontal stays esp ones that go from a narrow profile at the BB to a wide profile as the chain wheel can foul the stay and then one has to introduce the big hammer.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I already had a donated hybrid, fitted with a cheap pair of sprung forks. Works a treat with the bafang mid drive on tracks and trails. I fitted a 42t front ring to cope with the hilly bits. I would have liked disc brakes but the v brakes are ok.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
These channels are sponsored but will give you a rough idea for what you will get for the money.

Police auction site
They currently have an electric bike on it.

Also try

Gumtree, Freecycle for people giving away free bikes.

Usual shops cash converters, eBay, Facebook marketplace etc for second hand.

Also factor in cost of tools for kits
Bafang - locking spanner, programming cable (optional), baseplate to mount battery on frame (optional).
Hub - files, baseplate to mount battery on frame (optional).

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Usual shops cash converters, eBay, Facebook marketplace etc for second hand.
Cash converters can produce some very nice bikes for under 400

I'd look towards the higher end of hardtail mtb's too be bought 2nd hand. You'll get much better drivetrain,fork and brakes etc than something cheap that doesn't make the transition well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Yes, stolen ones
They do have systems in place to prevent and discourage this, they do take photo ID off everyone that sells and a current webcam snap, it took me 2 bits of ID just to sell an xbox one s.

Hangman

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2020
I've converted several bikes using Bafang and Tongsheng mid-drive motors and also ride on the South Downs. Happy to help with any advice needed.
The motor plus a good battery will cost around £800 so that only leaves £200 for the bike. A Carrera basic hardtail works well with these kits. Also highly recommend changing the programming with the USB cable and Penoff software for Bafang or Emmebrusa's OSF firmware for the Tongsheng.
If you start with a basic bike you can always swap the motor later to a better bike if you keep the original crank, etc.
In my experience the Bafang BBS motor is more reliable and better built but only has a cadence sensor and feels a bit "wooden" to ride. I personally prefer the Tongsheng TSDZ2 which has a torque sensor and with the OSF is utterly brilliant to ride.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I've converted several bikes using Bafang and Tongsheng mid-drive motors and also ride on the South Downs. Happy to help with any advice needed.
The motor plus a good battery will cost around £800 so that only leaves £200 for the bike. A Carrera basic hardtail works well with these kits. Also highly recommend changing the programming with the USB cable and Penoff software for Bafang or Emmebrusa's OSF firmware for the Tongsheng.
If you start with a basic bike you can always swap the motor later to a better bike if you keep the original crank, etc.
In my experience the Bafang BBS motor is more reliable and better built but only has a cadence sensor and feels a bit "wooden" to ride. I personally prefer the Tongsheng TSDZ2 which has a torque sensor and with the OSF is utterly brilliant to ride.
There's also the speeed app for Android, works a treat when out and about, no need to carry a laptop.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
They do have systems in place to prevent and discourage this, they do take photo ID off everyone that sells and a current webcam snap, it took me 2 bits of ID just to sell an xbox one s.
Yes but when eventually approached by the police the seller just says that he bought it at a car boot sale. That was the case when mine was found in Cash Convertors.

Related Articles

Advertisers