Advice needed for new Wisper 806 torque

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use the largest size gear(low gears) at the rear you are comfortable with to keep the legs/ riders cadence high and spinning, as the cadence/rpm rate slows bogging down comes in to affect. Also lower gears/ high rpm cadence will stress the knee joints less. grinding away in gears to high and slow is not the way to ride, your knee joints will suffer over time.
If need be combine using a smaller front gear as well, don't expect to climb hills at 25km/h as one might on level terrain unless you are pro cyclist.

• Agree
Reactions: ElizaQ and D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hills here can be steep, (don't know the gradients, can google maps show it?)
Select 'directions from here' then 'directions to here' for a short length of road (not too short **).
Choose the bicycle near the top left. You'll get a display that shows distance and height gained/lost. (You may need to open a extra panel for full details). If you select metric the numbers are easier to interpret as slope.

(**) The heights that Google Maps knows about are not very high resolution so you need at least a few hundred metres to get a reliable idea.

There are more specific map apps that show the gradients in a more helpful way. Must rush now so can't suggest one.

Reactions: ElizaQ

ElizaQ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2020
Select 'directions from here' then 'directions to here' for a short length of road (not too short **).
Choose the bicycle near the top left. You'll get a display that shows distance and height gained/lost. (You may need to open a extra panel for full details). If you select metric the numbers are easier to interpret as slope.

(**) The heights that Google Maps knows about are not very high resolution so you need at least a few hundred metres to get a reliable idea.

There are more specific map apps that show the gradients in a more helpful way. Must rush now so can't suggest one.
This is very useful. Thanks so much - will work out our hills!

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Use the largest size gear(low gears) at the rear you are comfortable with to keep the legs/ riders cadence high and spinning, as the cadence/rpm rate slows bogging down comes in to affect. Also lower gears/ high rpm cadence will stress the knee joints less. grinding away in gears to high and slow is not the way to ride, your knee joints will suffer over time.
If need be combine using a smaller front gear as well, don't expect to climb hills at 25km/h as one might on level terrain unless you are pro cyclist.
Thanks for this. I thought this was the way to do it but am grateful for the advice that this applies to ebikes. (I hardly ever make it to 25km/h down hill never mind about up hill.. lol.)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Hi Mike - thanks for this. It's so interesting learning how experienced ebikers use their bikes and so helpful. I wonder where you are with the hills so steep? I thought Hastings was full of hills but there are no mountains here. Strange that you should mention the gradients. We were talking about that last night and tried to work them out from google maps but couldn't manage it accurately. We're going to try downloading an app and sticking the phone on to the handlebars. It would be interesting to know what percentage of hill we mean by steep. Will let you know and would be interested to hear how steep your hills are (especially that one up the back road that you need gear 2 for - I feel breathless just thinking about it). Btw I didn't get a suspension seat post because the Wisper was comfortable without one. I did get a new saddle but that was enough. Thanks again.
Yes, Google maps says "56m up & 46m down"(think this means "above sea level, not rise & fall") on back road to village (in Ireland over drumlins). I'll tried suggestion about moving 'to'&'from'points to include just the hill, says 15m up at most!
Some suggest Google Earth can do it, and there is also an app in the Android Play store that says it's an 'Clinometer' for 4WD vehicle Pitch & Tilt, maybe 20201225_112133.jpg!
Merry Xmas. Mikel

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Another useful one is https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling. Quite convenient but not that accurate on details, I think the height data it is using is too course.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
What a fantastic pic! Thanks, Mikel. Happy Christmas to you and to everyone. Will try and get to grips with hill measurement soon. It would be nice to have the steepness confirmed instead of just puffing and panting.... :)

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
In praise of the Wisper 806 torque! Just thought I ought to post an update. To my amazement, the Wisper has given me the greatest gift possible - improved health! When I first rode the bike, it was so hard and I thought it would never get any easier - but I liked it because of the push it gave on setting off and the comfort it provided with the throttle when I couldn't get up the big hills. Well, I still need the throttle for the very big hills but I can now ride with PA 3 on the flat and PA4 on moderate inclines! I never thought I would ever be able to turn it down from PA5 (which I still use for the steep hills). I used to get so out of breath by the time I got home after coming up the hill but now, I'm only slightly out of breath. Both my lungs and my legs have improved in strength and capacity. It's unbelievable. I think this is the best designed ebike ever - it makes you fitter but offers you support with the setting off and the throttle if you need it. Btilliant - thank you, all the kind people who posted helpful comments and most of all thanks to David and Wisper bikes. I shall be forever grateful.

Reactions: Phil Dryden

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
In praise of the Wisper 806 torque! Just thought I ought to post an update. To my amazement, the Wisper has given me the greatest gift possible - improved health! When I first rode the bike, it was so hard and I thought it would never get any easier - but I liked it because of the push it gave on setting off and the comfort it provided with the throttle when I couldn't get up the big hills. Well, I still need the throttle for the very big hills but I can now ride with PA 3 on the flat and PA4 on moderate inclines! I never thought I would ever be able to turn it down from PA5 (which I still use for the steep hills). I used to get so out of breath by the time I got home after coming up the hill but now, I'm only slightly out of breath. Both my lungs and my legs have improved in strength and capacity. It's unbelievable. I think this is the best designed ebike ever - it makes you fitter but offers you support with the setting off and the throttle if you need it. Btilliant - thank you, all the kind people who posted helpful comments and most of all thanks to David and Wisper bikes. I shall be forever grateful.
So pleased that you stuck with it and are now reaping the benefits of your perseverance. Those of us who have cycled for pleasure most of our lives forget that someone who has never cycled since a child, is older in years, or is returning after ill health or a lengthy lay off, will find it very taxing for a good few weeks before fitness improves and as a result it feels easier. As you say, the change is due to your improved fitness; the bike has not become better, and the hills are the same size, but it is a fantastic feeling to start really enjoying your cycling. People often refer to 'the e-bike grin'.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
So pleased that you stuck with it and are now reaping the benefits of your perseverance. Those of us who have cycled for pleasure most of our lives forget that someone who has never cycled since a child, is older in years, or is returning after ill health or a lengthy lay off, will find it very taxing for a good few weeks before fitness improves and as a result it feels easier. As you say, the change is due to your improved fitness; the bike has not become better, and the hills are the same size, but it is a fantastic feeling to start really enjoying your cycling. People often refer to 'the e-bike grin'.
Hi Phil - thanks for you nice reply. Yes, I have got an e-bike grin - at this very moment! And yes, the hills are the same size but when the cycling first started getting easier I thought that the bike had improved that the motor was beginning to get stronger or something. But slowly slowly it continued to get easier and it dawned on me that it was me. I was actually getting fitter. It's a marvellous feeling and I'm so grateful to you and all the Pedelecs community. Happy Sunday from Hastings.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Hi Phil - thanks for you nice reply. Yes, I have got an e-bike grin - at this very moment! And yes, the hills are the same size but when the cycling first started getting easier I thought that the bike had improved that the motor was beginning to get stronger or something. But slowly slowly it continued to get easier and it dawned on me that it was me. I was actually getting fitter. It's a marvellous feeling and I'm so grateful to you and all the Pedelecs community. Happy Sunday from Hastings.
PS Most of what you mentioned above applies to me - I am in my early 70s and started cycling again last autumn. This was the first time I'd cycled since I was 11 or 12 years old. I fell off the first bike (didn't break anything) but it put me out of action for a 3 or 4 weeks and worst of all, dented my confidence. When I first tried riding the Wisper torque I couldn't believe how hard it was to push the pedals round. I thought there was something wrong with the bike! It has taken 3 months of very short rides to find my feet (I mean wheels) but what a transformation! I thought I would not get any fitter, but I have! And I can breathe better. It really is unbelievable. Thanks again.

Advertisers