advice on BBSHD and alternatives to build a touring/hybrid bike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Richard,

Check your invoice from the online sellers. Do they show how much VAT has been paid?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
in case anyone wonders why I post about these online sellers using duty paid shipping to evade VAT, it is against the terms of service that we all signed up to when joining the forum:
"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

It is unlawful that they sell the goods to you as an EU business without charging you VAT either at the rate of the sending country or UK rate unless you are VAT registered.
If goods are sent to you from abroad, inside the EU or outside, you are the importer and it's your responsibility to declare the goods and pay taxes.
In this specific case, the OP seems to import goods from China, with duty paid.
He still has to declare and owes UK Customs & Excise the VAT.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
in case anyone wonders why I post about these online sellers using duty paid shipping to evade VAT, it is against the terms of service that we all signed up to when joining the forum:
"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

It is unlawful that they ship the goods to you without charging you VAT either at the rate of the sending country or UK rate unless you are VAT registered.
If goods are sent to you from abroad, you are the importer and it's your responsibility to declare the goods and pay taxes.
paying tax is offensive apple dont google dont so why should i pay it ? you need a better accountant and of sure bank account to hide ur penny's ;)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

richard beadle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2018
Guisborough
Glad you feel like working in a bike shop qualifies you to offer VAT advice, as an expert VAT advisor you would have heard of small enterprise exemptions. Your making a lot of assumptions about how other businesses are operated, like I have already said your time would be better employed keeping your own affairs in order.

mephisto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2018
I was planning to buy my kit and battery from EM3EV but so far I've been trying to ask them questions for nearly a week about parts that I want included in the kit, no response by email and facebook.

I think I'm not going buy from them, if they can't answer pre sales queries, imagine post sales or customer services when something goes wrong

Advertisers