advice please from anyone who has fitted the Currie USPD spoke clamp

akathatman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2012
Hello to any Currie kit die hards with experience of fitting the spoke drive adapter!

Recently my rear hub with USPD attached has started to run rough and so I have been trying to fit the Currie kit on to a new wheel.
I had understood that the Currie spoke drive adapter would fit on virtually any 26", 36 spoke, 3 cross pattern wheel as this is how it's marketed on evdeals.com, but I have experimented so far with 3 different "new" wheels all conforming to this specification, with Shimano hubs, and the adapter fails to encompass the spokes without some distortion on all of them. The outer hub laced set of 9 spokes sit just inside the adapter grooves but the inner laced spokes lie on top....please see the pictures of my old wheel and the adpter fitted up against one of the new ones. For some reason beyond me a wheel laced with one polarity is slightly better than the other (outermost spokes angled forwards is marginally better) but the spokes still have to be bent inwards in order to be tightened down using the 3 retaining clamps. My main concern is that the presumed increased tension on the deformed spokes will damage the rim.
So have I missed something, been unlucky with my new wheel choice or was it the intention of the Currie designer that the spokes be bent for a purpose?
Incidentally, I know that this kit is very old technology, cumbersome and heavy but it still provides me with reliable assistance when riding my bike, with good hill climbing ability and an added advantage that the banshee wail of the motor alerts pedestrians well in advance of my arrival.
Thank you for reading my post and for any advice which you may have!
SDC10708.JPG SDC10706.JPG

Advertisers