Advice please on basic battery to bike wiring for Raleigh Dover.

Oldion

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Hampshire
I have just bought a Raleigh Dover (Panasonic crank motor new in 2010). It seems to be in good condition with very few miles but was sold without a battery, charger or key.
Before I try to buy these expensive items to the original specification I would like to test the operation of the electrics using external power to the battery terminals. I have looked at the excellent notes that Flecc has put online.(This bike seems to have the later version of the motor.) These show 3 pins on the bike connecting to the 5 slots available on the Panasonic type battery. I assume that the separated pin (nearest to the wheel) is positive, the far opposite is negative and the mid pin carries status information from the battery.
Could anyone tell me if the bike will operate with just plus and minus 24V applied to these 2 pins or is a signal and/or voltage needed on the third pin? If so, what is the signal? Does this signal drive the handlebar control unit?
If this works I would have the option of using other battery packs as I assume the origin battery pack design may no longer be supported in the future.
I would like your advice as I don't want to see a cloud of smoke so early in my ownership.
Thank you.

Oldion

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Hampshire
Hello again,
Progress:-
I have tried a simple connection of 26V across the plus and minus pins identified earlier with no connection to the third. The handlebar led display lights up as expected. The lowest charge state (LH) led is lit at any voltage over 24 and flashes first slowly then rapidly as the voltage is dropped to about 21V. The other two charge state leds do not light as the voltage is raised to close to 30V.
The motor seemed to kick when I turned the crank with the brake on but I was on a current limited PSU (and a short piece of wire).
The unused connection pin had a steady 4.7V above the negative line.
It looking hopeful that I can use any 24/26V battery that I can fit to the frame.
Please let me know if you think I have missed anything important.
Thank you.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Could have a battery charger and 26v battery from a Kalkhoff bike I've just bought which I won't need as I have 4 bikes and using this one for spares PM me if you are interested, almost certain they are compatible, i will be posting on ebay at some time, butyou've a chance to jump in. Raleigh Dovers and Kalkhoffs using the panasonic motors were all but identical, Ralieigh being part of Derby cycles at the time, who also owned the Kalkhoff brand.

Oldion

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Hampshire
Could have a battery charger and 26v battery from a Kalkhoff bike I've just bought which I won't need as I have 4 bikes and using this one for spares PM me if you are interested, almost certain they are compatible, i will be posting on ebay at some time, butyou've a chance to jump in. Raleigh Dovers and Kalkhoffs using the panasonic motors were all but identical, Ralieigh being part of Derby cycles at the time, who also owned the Kalkhoff brand.
Hi Mike,
Yes, I would be interested in the battery and charger. Also, if not required, I have to replace the lock as I do not have the key for the one fitted and it holds the battery in position. The lock assembly is removed with 2 socket head screws. I have the key number but doubt that it will be easy to obtain a key
I am in Curdridge, about 10 miles NE of Southampton.
I am new to this very useful forum and do not know the procedures for sales between members.
By the way, for members who, like me, would be concerned that a bike sold without these items might have been stolen, it was sold by a reputable business with all the original manuals and the original 2010 receipt.
Thank you.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
I have sent you a private message which will be flaggged up the mauve banner by your name at the top of the page which gives my phone number. Press your name in the mauve banner to access. I live in Bournemouth, so not far away. I have a couple of sources I use for spares such as locks etc, and find Pro Golla cycling in Germany great for the hard to get items for older 26v Panasonic motored Kalkhoffs, Raleigh, Swiss Flyer etc. Members have access to the ebike classifieds section, where buy or sell info can be placed, it's not like ebay, members just get in contact with each other. Thanks for info re source of bike, I would have asked.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008

Advertisers