Aircraft memorabila

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Helping to clear out the belongs of someone who sadly recently passed away, I came across an article that left me saying wow!

I'll let you read the inscription, but I have a question for those that might hold an interest in this kind of thing. The item which I presume is a copy of the handle, measures approx 250mm long by 75mm at it's widest part.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=56634

I was given the object to keep, but as items were being sorted for sale with funds given to charity, I would prefer to sell it, and donate the proceeds to the charity, which is Hospice In The Weald.

My question is does something like this have value to a collector, and where might be best place be to sell it?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: tillson

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Helping to clear out the belongs of someone who sadly recently passed away, I came across an article that left me saying wow!

I'll let you read the inscription, but I have a question for those that might hold an interest in this kind of thing. The item which I presume is a copy of the handle, measures approx 250mm long by 75mm at it's widest part.

I was given the object to keep, but as items were being sorted for sale with funds given to charity, I would prefer to sell it, and donate the proceeds to the charity, which is Hospice In The Weald.

My question is does something like this have value to a collector, and where might be best place be to sell it?
Martin Baker may be interested in it.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire

The item does not appear to be an ejector seat release handle as such. For obvious reasons, both hands are needed to pull the handle, keeping both arms close to the body as the seat exits the aircraft. I think it is more likely to be a bottle opener fashioned from part of the English Electric P1 Lightening airframe from which the pilot ejected. It could equally be part of the ejector seat which would have been recovered for examination.

The wrecked aircraft would also have been recovered for examination to determine the reason for the tailfin detachment during high speed maneuvers.

Difficult to value such an item, even with known provenance.

One for the Antiques Roadshow perhaps.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's a bottle opener!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Not really but it looks like one[emoji1]

Advertisers