And another CX motor bearings bite the dust!

RedBaron

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2020
Hi guys
Am a newbie to the forum and three weeks into my ebike ownership - had a big bump on first week and bent crank arm - then all sorts of errors showing on Purion display - feared the worst -but managed to find these guys online - https://www.performancelinebearings.com/
Took my motor down - they stripped and overhauled it same day - the internals were wet!!! and a bit rusty - not been powerwashed - but 1500 miles of fairly arduous welsh mountain work. The guys at performanceline fitted a new bearing kit etc but also a "mudstop" bearing cover - and hopefully that will keep the worst away.
So around £300 service, crank arms, chainring and mudstop - feels like a completely new bike. Performanceline staff were very knowledgeable and helpful. Can't praise them enough.

Reactions: Sunstoner

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
" bent crank arm "
How the heck do you bend a crank arm ???, thats a thick bit of metal, heck i ride all mountain and freeride and ive yet to bend a crank.

When you talk about damage or such, these things dont happen overnight, and its a culmination or it being soaked and not cleaned, or stored in a shed or even outside. Bosch are well aware it rains and also that mtb's will inevitable ride through water, though I have seen mentioned that its not a good idea to submerge it.

Like alll bikes, you need to dry them off and give them a good wipe down at the end of the day/ride. Obviously do not ever pressure wash any bike, be that Ebike or standard. Nothing is so ingrained that a wet cloth wont shift it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have had two bent crank arms.
One was from a car that T- boned/knocked me off at a junction which I documented on the forum and the other was on a trail. My pedal end struck a hidden log in the undergrowth at speed, ending in one of those undignified off's. Was on the ground before I knew what had happened.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My pedal end struck a hidden log
Reminds me of when I was riding along happily with my mate. All of a sudden a concrete bollard jumped out in front of me sending me straight over the handlebars after hitting it. Afterwards, it didn't even run away. It just stood there grinning at me.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The same thing happened to me. I'd been round a mates, we'd polished off a bottle of vodka between us, and during the ride home a new traffic island appeared out of nowhere. Thank god for suss forks, and my incredibly thick skull.

Related Articles

Advertisers