Anti theft devices

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
What do we use to protect our pride and joy from being knicked? I was amazed to see on YouTube just how easy it is for thieves to cut certain kinds of bike lock. So, depending on where I leave my ebike I use one or all three of the following; à Halfords reinforced cable lock, an Oxford Hardcore XL motorbike padlocked chain, and and one of those Abus Bordo Ugrip locks. The motorbike chain weighs a fair bit but is reassuring if in dodgy places. What do others use?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
My bike is stored in an Asgard 29er bike shed on the back garden and I have just bought an Abus granite 540 plus 300mm d lock for when out and about

Last edited:

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
My bike is stored in an Asgard 29er bike shed on the back garden and I have just bought an Abus granite 540 plus 300mm d lock for when out and about
Got my eye on an Asgard shed or bikestore for next year once I've had garden landscaped, are you pleased with it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use a D lock and an Oxford 1m lock one to go through each wheel, 99% of the time when out and I only leave a bike locked up in one place for max 20/30 mins.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
Got my eye on an Asgard shed or bikestore for next year once I've had garden landscaped, are you pleased with it?
Hi
I am very pleased with it ,well made strong and secure, glad I only put the one bike in it as I think it would be very tight with 3 or 4 bikes in there , make sure your base is level, if you look around the interweb you can find vouchers for 10% off ,the only down side was the near 5 week wait for it to be delivered

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I use an Abus Bordo plus which is one of those folding flat bar things. It was the only one that they couldn't cut on Utube. Trouble is it's very heavy and only has the same internal diameter as a U-Lock
I also use a disk lock as this makes it very hard to get cutters in to the small pin.
Depending on what type of cutter the scroats use, I have seen them cut through a gold standard motorbike chain. Perhaps the death penalty would be a deterrent.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having lost one allready I not leave mine out of sight at all! A good idea would be a cheap old rusty thing for tthe times when you need to leave it then if you must leave it unatended park it by something with a much higher value.... Having said that e-bikes are probably the highest value bikes in most bike racks.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Having lost one allready I not leave mine out of sight at all! .
Having lost one myself I fully agree, although mine was in sight whilst I was having a cup of tea. Take your eyes off it for 30 seconds though and the chain is cut and the scroat is off down the road. Gave chase but my running couldn't match the Trek.
Its sad when you can't stop for a cup of tea on a long ride.

• Agree
Reactions: Chris.L

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having lost one myself I fully agree, although mine was in sight whilst I was having a cup of tea. Take your eyes off it for 30 seconds though and the chain is cut and the scroat is off down the road. Gave chase but my running couldn't match the Trek.
Interestingly I have an alarm on mine but don't use it.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
This thread is exactly why eBikes aren't a suitable alternative to a car, much as I'd like them to be. It's OK commuting to work as we have a fairly secure bike shed but heading into town to the shops or something just seems like too much of a risk even with a good lock.

I'd love to use mine as a method of transport when out and about in my motorhome but the risk of theft puts me off. I recently travelled to one town to attend an all day meeting and stayed on a site a few miles away from the venue, it would have been great to use the eBike to travel backwards and forwards but I'd just have been worrying all the time I was in there.......

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This thread is exactly why eBikes aren't a suitable alternative to a car, much as I'd like them to be. It's OK commuting to work as we have a fairly secure bike shed but heading into town to the shops or something just seems like too much of a risk even with a good lock.

I'd love to use mine as a method of transport when out and about in my motorhome but the risk of theft puts me off. I recently travelled to one town to attend an all day meeting and stayed on a site a few miles away from the venue, it would have been great to use the eBike to travel backwards and forwards but I'd just have been worrying all the time I was in there.......
Fully agree, and an E-Bike is even worse to deal with.. My son takes his lightweight racing bike upstairs into the office with him.. Much more difficult with a heavy e-bike.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
This suggests my belief in a disc lock as a secondary nuisance—for the thief—may be valid (and/or an alarm). Thirty seconds though...wow, that's worrying.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire

The current bike world isn't very good at this stuff. Silicon Valley may have to show them how it's done. But modularity may have to go out of the window.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You have me worried, last night I dreamt that someone stole my two QR wheels when I was in a shop! :eek:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Yep ..rear passenger with his arms out of the window.. other passenger jumped out, grabbed bike , hung it on rear passengers arms, jumped back in and drive away with him holding it against car.
So the other thing you need is a firearm... or a pitbull in a rear child's seat waiting for the attack signal.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
These 4 lads were obviously experts in stealing anything that took their fancy and were reported stealing and attempted theft with violence around the district for a couple of weeks. Made me a bit paranoid for a while but I am over it now. When I leave it outside a shop or cafe i always have a good look around to see who's about.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So the other thing you need is a firearm... or a pitbull in a rear child's seat waiting for the attack signal.
When you are nearly 70, the prospect of violence is worrying although I didnt know they were violent at the time. I later found out they had threatened a young couple with a hammer and threw stones at their pram.
I now keep a baseball bat just inside my garage door.

Advertisers