Any routine preventative maintenance for the XF07 front hub motor

S1966W

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2018
As title really. My XF07 front hub has reached about 650 miles now, still less than 6 months old & upto now almost faultless. I say almost, as a couple of months ago I noticed what sounded like a 'plasticky' cheep cheeping kind of sound coming from the front hub after a few minutes of use (only under pedal assist/throttle, not 'coasting.' It cleared itself after being evident for a few days and I haven't heard it since, it may have been something to do with the onset of cooler weather? Anyhow, that's by the by. Back to the original question; is there any specific maintenance which would be beneficial to prolong the life of the hub motor? I am well aware of the old adage "if it ain't broke...." but if there is anything a reasonably competent mechanic could perform then it would be good to know.

Cheers, Simon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the main thing is to stop rain water getting into the motor.
The motor cable needs to exit downward and form a drip loop.
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

S1966W

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2018
That's no problem, the motor cable is a good length & I've installed it with a good drip loop. What about lubrication of hub bearings etc?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's no problem, the motor cable is a good length & I've installed it with a good drip loop. What about lubrication of hub bearings etc?
don't grease anything inside. Don't grease the nylon parts, the grease will degrade them.
when the time comes to replace the ballbearings, replace the whole set of 4 bearings at the same time. They cost £12 and their grease will last about 4 years.

Advertisers