Anybody use bike rack on their car ?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...does anybody use bike rack on a small hatchback to carry a 20 kilo plus ebike.?
...which rack do you use ? ....do you feel it's secure and safe ?
....any comments appreciated. ....cheers....Mike

D

Deleted member 4366

I had the Wilko towball one, which did the job. I now have an expensive Cykell one, which is much better. I guess aĺl of the expensive ones are similar.

Befoe towball ones, I tried a strap-on one, which was a complete waste of time. It held the bike too high in the wind. My car has a boot. Maybe the strap-on ones work better on a hatchback.

Reactions: Mike63

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
A tow ball mounted rack is ideal. A strap on will be better on a hatch but it should be the 6 strap type. If you go for a strap on rack pick a two bike model if you are only going to carry one ebike. Pick a three bike model if carrying two. My former non electric commuter bike weighed just under 20kgs with all of its kit and the strap on rack worked fine. Since owning an ebike, I no longer have the car nor the rack :)

Reactions: Mike63

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
thanks guys...20 years ago I was driving a Volvo with a towing hitch and roof rails and I used a Thule tow ball fixing bike rack, I only carried a light mountain bike and the rack worked great because I could run a strap from the rack through the roof rails to take the weight..
I still have the Thule rack and If I could figure out a way to take the weight
I would have a towbar fitted to this car.

I've just thought of this...what if I bought 2 straps with those dumbbell things on the end,... the dumbbells 'd go inside the tail gate and the straps 'd fix to the rack to take the weight.....do you think that would work ?
...that bit about the bike being too high is a valid point, I'd much rather use the towball rack...thinking about it further, I've got the straps, I could make the dumbbells I've even got some special buckles I'm sure I could fix to the rack.

......Do you see this working ?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers Mike....I may be wrong but I don't see that rack holding a 20+ kilo ebike without top support and I'd still need the hitch fitting and I've already got my rack which locks onto the tow ball but it was never secure without top fixing........the short distance could be 100 miles on the motorway.
...thanks for the input though.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Obviously a tow ball is a requirement, but no extra support is needed. One ebike with battery removed is fine. I've used it with two on the motorway without a problem.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
thanks everyone...I'm thinking it's sorted now.
....I'll see how it goes.
.....Mike

Advertisers