Assist crossbar E-Bike

Marcxc

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2020
Good morning all!

Hope everyone is doing alright. I’m new to the site and am at my wits end here so really really hope someone can help.

My partner has an Assist crossbar hybrid bike and on our ride a few days ago a cable snapped after she tried to raise the handlebars. It turns out it was one of the cables to do with the motor and it meant the bike was unusable.

We took it to Halfords yesterday who were ridiculously unhelpful saying “this can’t be fixed until everything is back to normal”. My partner is a key worker and uses this bike for work and even though she’s only had it since October on the cycle to work scheme, the guy at Halfords basically just fobbed her off.

I’ve been looking for the cable myself and can find it with the 2 pin end no problem but it’s finding one with the small button/switch at the other end that’s the problem. I don’t even know what it’s called
I’ll post an image up and if anyone could tell me what it is then I’d be so grateful!

Sorry for the long winded post, it’s just been a really stressful few days.

Thank you all

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good morning all!

Hope everyone is doing alright. I’m new to the site and am at my wits end here so really really hope someone can help.

My partner has an Assist crossbar hybrid bike and on our ride a few days ago a cable snapped after she tried to raise the handlebars. It turns out it was one of the cables to do with the motor and it meant the bike was unusable.

We took it to Halfords yesterday who were ridiculously unhelpful saying “this can’t be fixed until everything is back to normal”. My partner is a key worker and uses this bike for work and even though she’s only had it since October on the cycle to work scheme, the guy at Halfords basically just fobbed her off.

I’ve been looking for the cable myself and can find it with the 2 pin end no problem but it’s finding one with the small button/switch at the other end that’s the problem. I don’t even know what it’s called
I’ll post an image up and if anyone could tell me what it is then I’d be so grateful!

Thank you all
If it hasn't broken right near on of the connectors you could cut out the broken bit and insert a patch wire.

Marcxc

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2020
If it hasn't broken right near on of the connectors you could cut out the broken bit and insert a patch wire.
Thank you for the reply,

I should’ve put the other image up of the wire broken. I’ve tried soldering it back together this morning but no good at all :(

Attachments

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Most of this narrative makes an assumption; if the assumption is wrong ignore!!
Could it be the normally closed brake sensor cable? If so could the wires be joined until the item be replaced? If it is the sensor, is there a similar one on the other brake? If so which brake do you always use? If you ensure that there is a sensor on the brake which is always used, it will be safe to cycle without the broken one.

Reactions: D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Red two pin Julet cable utilises a simple reed switch (on/off) , it is a brake cut out sensor. When you brake the sprung plunger comes out and power is cut to the controller, release the brake and it pushes the plunge in for power again. It acts as a simple circuit breaker.
If you have two then you only need one working for the bike to work, disconnect the damaged lead completely and the bike should work, cover the disused Red Julet connector to stop rain getting in.
To buy a new one you have to buy the cheap brake sets for about £20 and then either replace/swap the complete brake lever assembly over or dismantle the lever just to get the wired plunger to use.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thank you for the reply,

I should’ve put the other image up of the wire broken. I’ve tried soldering it back together this morning but no good at all :(
Solder the wires back on , it doesn't matter which way, plug back in and press the plunger in the bike should power on again. Alternatively a quick fix is disconnect both Red connectors and the bike should still work but without the cut offs for motor over run. Just don't use the throttle.

These brake levers use the same type of sensor.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good morning all!

Thank you all
Avoid Halfruads like the plague and repair yourself for about £20.

Advertisers