Astronomy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mars and Aldebaran are both high directly in the sky tonight both tinged with a bit of Red, Aldebaran is the main star in the Taurus constellation. Also burning bright WSW are Jupiter fairly high up and Venus below it.
From now until the 27th both will converge more to get as close as they will this year and will be separated on the 27th by the Moon.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Mars and Aldebaran are both high directly in the sky tonight both tinged with a bit of Red, Aldebaran is the main star in the Taurus constellation. Also burning bright WSW are Jupiter fairly high up and Venus below it.
From now until the 27th both will converge more to get as close as they will this year and will be separated on the 27th by the Moon.
Brings to mind asteroid ph27 which has the shortest orbital period of all asteroids (113 days I think) and gets closest to sun (closer than mercury) and so dips deepest of all objects into sun's gravity and experiences biggest distortion of space time (but, unfortunately, at 500 celsius)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Brings to mind asteroid ph27 which has the shortest orbital period of all asteroids (113 days I think) and gets closest to sun (closer than mercury) and so dips deepest of all objects into sun's gravity and experiences biggest distortion of space time (but, unfortunately, at 500 celsius)
That's bound to disintegrate soon (in terms of galactic timescales), unless composed of hard material.

I tried in vain to witness this very rare happening, purported to be visible with the naked eye. I suppose I could have settled the phone on the ground camera upwards with a timer set for 5 seconds and it's max shutter of 30 seconds at max ISO to take a long exposure. But I didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A part from the moon any celestial body seen from earth using bins or scopes are just small specks in the sky , which for most leave them very unimpressed. Folks think they will see the fine detail and close up views as seen by the huble scope or the various explorers that pass by these distant planets, which is never going to be the case.
Mars explorer for instance takes the best part of a year to get near for the stunning pics. One with a phone/camera attached to a scope can get better pics magnified but these again are far beyond what a human eye can actually see.

Probes to jupiter , saturn take nearly 2 years to get near before the stunning pics are taken.

As at the mo jupiter, venus and mars are well lit up in the clear night skies by eye one won't see much , even with a scope not much can be seen. In the case of Jupiter depending on light pollution one will clearly see the planet and maybe pick out some colour bands, for sure one will also see 3 or 4 of her satelite moons with a reasonable scope but the magnified image via the naked eye is still very every tiny like a pea in the far sky and the moons like small bright pin heads.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have friends who spend a fortune on big telescopes and cameras to image stack:

...and they get good results. I'd rather hire online, control and use online something none of them or I could ever probably afford to buy and properly situate, for comparatively nothing, from observatories located in many places in the world:

... or simply enjoy Hubble and the James Webb's new releases and greatest hits, then read a book with the time saved.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That' s the issue one can only see via imaging and spending a lot of money, it is all views that the naked eye even thru a good scope can't see.

It's like the Green comet, one may see a very faint Green smudge on a scope and that is about it , it needs good imaging equipment thru the scope to actually see a half reasonable result of a better blur.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tonight with the naked eye one saw the following shining stars to just name a few, Jupiter , Venus, Mars, the 7 sisters aka Plaeides , Aldebaran & the Taurus constellation, Betelgeuse, Rigel of the Orion constellaton & the 3 stars known as Orion's belt, the 4 stars forming the Aries constellation, Triangulum, also co linked with Taurus is the Auriga constellation and the main star Capella , also nearby Andromeda of the Pegasus constellation.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you have an obsession with observing numerous small things? I would have been quite happy seeing a tiny green smudge, and if I had trekked four miles out away from streetlights, perhaps I might have... but I was too cold, crackered after work. I get lucky sometimes seeing suprise streaks across the night sky, like that giant gold croissant I saw one time while drunk, sitting on a bench on top of a hill near a military base. Whatever the hell it was, it crossed the entire sky impossibly fast and silent right to left at very high altitude within 2 seconds. I think the scrumpy was off. Could have been Clint Eastwood at it again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All my observations are simply by standing outside my back door and looking.
For nearer objects like the moon I have a 5" scope to see it better.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All my observations are simply by standing outside my back door and looking.
For nearer objects like the moon I have a 5" scope to see it better.
Oh no! You've entered the mouth of the rabbithole! You may as well get a good Magic Lantern compatible Canon DSLR such as the 650D (cheap now), adapters and lenses (cheap to eye-wateringly expensive), all sorts of other gubbins and dive in headlong like the rest of them, never to emerge...

I was half-thinking of cutting a Velux into my roof for a scope, but the skies are too polluted where I live. If you can see all that from your back door, you're missing out on years of pointless but fun (? depends on how fun is defined within your mind) astrophotographical time-wasting.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Taking pics and wasting money buying camera stuff is for those with money to burn , if I want to see those pics they are available to find online.
The interesting bit for me is seeing other lunar watchers who use their creative side sketching what they see , a more enjoyble artistic persuit and a skill to awe at.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The interesting bit for me is seeing other lunar watchers who use their creative side sketching what they see , a more enjoyble artistic persuit and a skill to awe at.
The artist has used a compass to draw the perfect circle, which according to legend, Leonardo da Vinci could draw freehand.

Taking pics and wasting money buying camera stuff is for those with money to burn , if I want to see those pics they are available to find online.
It doesn't have to be expensive:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most do so and use a compass or something to draw around for the initial shape to save time , it is the detail and having an eye for it to sketch in the detail.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You’d bee silly to miss this! Venus will pass through the Beehive Cluster tonight – how and when to see the rare astronomical phenomenon
  • 'Beehive' or M44 is a star cluster - gravitationally bound groups of multiple stars
  • Venus has been approaching the cluster and will appear above it from tonight

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Advertisers