Attention to detail

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The bike cleaning/detailing thread had me going over something that I used to very much enjoying carrying out, and actually became very proficient at. The restoration of classic race bikes.

I have always had a very good mechanical understanding, and pulling things down, and re assembling them to an improved standard comes very easily. I sort of fell into bike restoration, after packing in Super Sport 400 and GP250 racing. The circumstances of my quitting weren't very nice, and I decided at the time to walk away from bikes altogether. That was roughly ten years ago, and I haven't ridden one since. The urge and pull to still be around bikes was too great for me, and some how restoring and selling classic race seemed like a natural progression.

Not in any particular order year are some of the bikes that I have previously restored.

The first shown here, is a very rare Yamaha 3TC1, and after pulling it apart, it sat in boxes for over two years before I could face the restoration. The bike had been badly stored, and corrosion had hit the frame. This corrosion was putting me off, as I knew that it was going to take many hours to hand sand every single mark out, polish the frame to a mirror finish, then carefully sand the metal grain back into the finish, and so making it a flat original finish again. With that horrid job out of the way, the rest is easy. What surprised me was that even after two years, I remember where every single nut and bolt had to go, including thread length, type of washer, and which direction to bolt from. I seem to have an photographic memory for stuff like this, and only glanced at a workshop manual to get the correct torque settings, and lock wire procedure. This bike was actually the last one that I restored. I was putting in too many hours, and not getting the financial reward back from it. Interestingly, when selling the bikes, not one buyer ever came to view. All bikes were sold from photos alone. One went to the IOM, a couple stayed in this country, two went to Italy, one went to France, and one to America. All went into private collections. Sadly the Marlborough coloured 3AK, was smashed up badly at a demonstration event somewhere in France. Prior to that, it had sat in a MC museum close to Paris.

Every single component that can be, is replated to original finish. Sometimes this even means three different colour finishes per bolt, washer and nut. If a bolt is incorrect and a new one can't be purchased with the correct head, I would have the replacement put in a lathe, correctly profiled, then replated again.

And finished. Whilst the engines would always be completely rebuilt, I never once fired any of the bikes up. Doing so would mean that the engine was no longer fresh and rebuilt. It always hurt not doing so, but that is how collectors rightly want them.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
And my favourite restoration.

There are only a handful of these tA125's world wide, and I reckon that mine was and is the best. I even managed to source a set of brand new old stock tyres from 1973. Hard as nails, took three of use to fit them and could never be ridden on, but they are correct. :)
Steel framed bikes were always my favourite bikes to restore. The frames are easy, the bikes are easy to nut and bolt, and the job is easy. :)
Having said that it was easy. There were two disasters on this build. The wheel builder refused to use the re plated spokes. I understand why and fully respected his decision. But it's still annoying when the bike was never going to ridden again. The second disaster, was the plating company being broken into, and many of my parts vanished! Not a happy phone call to receive.

How things changed from 1793 to 1993 on this restoration job on a TZ125. I had intended to keep and race this one, but it never happened.

This is what I meant by putting the grain of the metal back.
Perfect lines of grain. :)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A mix of the rest.

A slightly later one.

Another rare bike. The 3AK that got smashed to pieces. The bike was an original factory coloured TZ250, but I bought it with no plastics, so spent many hours researching library photos, and as no original design was available, I took certain details from factory 500's for the graphics. The number 78 was my allocated race number.

And my own Honda RS250 GP250 race bike, which was easily the best bike that I have ridden.

It handled as though it were on railway tracks, and I never even began to find it's limits. The quality of finish was amazing, as was Honda's attention to detail. It even had needle roller bearing on the clutch and brake lever. All fastenings were titanium and scary expensive, and the wheels were magnesium. The bike was fitted with factory kit parts including the exhaust expansion system, and had something called a detonation counter fitted to it, to aid jetting and performance set up. In an ideal world, a GP250 race bike if set correctly, should pretty near seize up as you cross the finish line. I was never that brave or stupid, so jetted slightly rich.

And this was state of the Honda when I bought it!

A real old dog, straight out of a container from racing in Japan..

[

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A scanned photos of me on my old Rookie 400 Supersport 400 Honda RVF400 It was given the nickname the B52 bomber by my mates.

I'm No 79 in this one, and have just been rammed! All good fun. :)

I'm third back on the LH side. I think that Ian85 from the forum might well be the rider behind me. This must have been a warm up lap, as Ian was a consistent podium finisher, and half my age!!!! :D

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie, your attention to detail is second to none. Also impressive is the angle of lean in your 2003 photo.

I've owned motorbikes since the age of 16, always had an inbuilt sense of self preservation. This sense has aways prevented me exploring the full potential of any bike owned. Good on you.

On another note, sorry you could not make a ride today. Lovely muddy 25 miler. Another time. SRS.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Two more for you.

The RC30 was the biggest disappointment in bike riding terms that I have ever come across. With all the hype, all the history behind them, I was expecting great things. I got off from riding it, and just thought "is that it"
It was also the hardest bike that I have ever had to pull down and reassemble. It didn't need restoring, just a thorough nut and bolt detailing session. The hardest parts to remove and re fit, were the carbs and exhaust system. I won't be doing either ever again.

And a slight come down from the above. I really hate working on road bikes.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi EddiePJ, thanks for sharing these photographs. It's always good to see the work of a highly skilled craftsman. You have a rare mix of talent, attention to detail and a natural ability. Great stuff.

Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi EddiePJ, thanks for sharing these photographs. It's always good to see the work of a highly skilled craftsman. You have a rare mix of talent, attention to detail and a natural ability. Great stuff.
Yes, and you have a handy drain cover in the middle of your lawn for a prop stand.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Martin, the VFR was nothing special. It might have been in it's day, but it just didn't float my boat. If I could have afforded to have kept it, I might have squirrelled it away as an investment, which is exactly what the new owner did with it, but that would be all.

My heart will always belong to pukka 2t race bikes. Nothing comes close. :)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Ed
Martin, the VFR was nothing special. It might have been in it's day, but it just didn't float my boat. If I could have afforded to have kept it, I might have squirrelled it away as an investment, which is exactly what the new owner did with it, but that would be all.

My heart will always belong to pukka 2t race bikes. Nothing comes close. :)
Eddie, you're in the wrong job.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
That is a fantastic body of work Eddie. You have something to be so proud of there.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Eddie, would you please refrain from posting any more pictures. It makes the rest of us ~ or at least me ~ feel totally inadequate.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Just echoing what TinKitten has said.....total respect man !!

C

Cyclezee

Very very impressive Eddie, total respect to you.

Now I totally understand your extreme attention to detail when looking after your electric bike.

stevew

Pedelecer
That's really nice stuff, I'm in awe of the quality of your restoration work. You must have loved it :)

I could never be like you. Couldn't understand all that work and then not riding it :confused:
So i have had loads of bike and although i do all of my own maintenance it's of the "just enough" style. For me riding and visiting places i love has always been what turns me on.

Good job there are lots of different types of people out there.
Here's my present (small) stable

West coast of Ireland

West Wales

Advertisers