Badassbox 4 for Bosch - recommended?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Hi all. I know dongling is a contentious subject, but I can't keep up with my OH on the road otherwise, so it's either dongle or don't ride out.

I'm looking at a badassbox due to the ease of fitting. It's £138 on Amazon (ouch):
badass for Private Terrace 4 Tuning, Black, One Size https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GZLMWRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S8N1CbFKYJH1J

Bike is the 2018 Cube hybrid race 500 29er.

I have an ASA espeed box on my 2014, but I don't want to mess with the casing on my 2018.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or alternatives I should consider before pressing the button? TIA

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all the bosch dongles are here

if you dont want to open the motor then the bad ass is the only option.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
if you dont want to open the motor then the bad ass is the only option.
Ok cool. I'm not confident enough in my mechanical skills to mess around too much on a bike that is still under warranty, so that settles it :) Thank you.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Ok cool. I'm not confident enough in my mechanical skills to mess around too much on a bike that is still under warranty, so that settles it :) Thank you.
I am not sure but I think I have read that a bike shop can tell if a bosch system has had a dongle fitted, even if you remove it when taking it into the shop either for a service or a warranty issue. Soundwave do you know if this is the case? I can't remember where I have read this, otherwise I would provide a link.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
2 large ebike retailers sell and fit dongles and honors the warranty so that says it all.

it is in German but read the comments ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Ha, you got them to put the subtitles on! Nice one ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any dealer that is refusing warranty is doing it off there own back as they can not prove it one way or another.

and Bosch dont care anyway as would of put a stop to ebike shop long ago ;)

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I am not sure but I think I have read that a bike shop can tell if a bosch system has had a dongle fitted, even if you remove it when taking it into the shop either for a service or a warranty issue. Soundwave do you know if this is the case? I can't remember where I have read this, otherwise I would provide a link.
My new Bosch cx powered bike has just arrived at the dealers today, so while there I asked him if Bosch can detect whether a dongle had been fitted or not, (having read somewhere that the latest Bosch software can tell), he told me that they always were able to tell, but couldn't provide evidence that would hold up in law, so basically let it slide and honoured any warranty claims, but this is no longer the case, with the new software, they can now apparantly provide sufficient proof to make a warranty claim void.
To put this in context, I know the guy in the shop, he is not a 'helmet' or 'jobs-worth', and I can't think of any reason he'd lie.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
My 2018 bike is nearly 18 months old (and barely used cos I use the dongled 2014 instead - what a waste!) so the software is old, thankfully!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My new Bosch cx powered bike has just arrived at the dealers today, so while there I asked him if Bosch can detect whether a dongle had been fitted or not, (having read somewhere that the latest Bosch software can tell), he told me that they always were able to tell, but couldn't provide evidence that would hold up in law, so basically let it slide and honoured any warranty claims, but this is no longer the case, with the new software, they can now apparantly provide sufficient proof to make a warranty claim void.
To put this in context, I know the guy in the shop, he is not a 'helmet' or 'jobs-worth', and I can't think of any reason he'd lie.
if that was the case ebike shop and others would not sell dongles full stop, the only thing they have done as far as i can see is to put the wheel magnet on the disc rotor but wired dongles will still work but a software update could brick them and stop them working.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: xena

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
if that was the case ebike shop and others would not sell dongles full stop, the only thing they have done as far as i can see is to put the wheel magnet on the disc rotor but wired dongles will still work but a software update could brick them and stop them working.
Just passing on what I was told, the shop in question has imported and sold speed versions of bikes, and are happy to carry out maintenance and servicing on dongled bikes, so like I said, can't see why he'd lie about it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ktm wont even sell you a s class bike unless you provide proof you own private land to ride it on pmsl.:rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
as long as dealers are fitting dongles and honoring the warranty id not worry about it tbh and if you want no hassle over this then buy from them and there wont be a problem in the first place.

my motor is still going after 5 years with a dongle fitted and i hammer the crap out of it ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Thank you... Added to watch list, I'll definitely put a bid on that.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I have an earlier version Badass dongle on my 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500 29r, and it works brill. I wouldn't like to ride without it.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Thanks for all replies. I bought a 3.4 version on ebay, then a 4.0 turned up, so I'll be fitting them on the weekend :)

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Just seen this, interesting viewing, clearly shows diagnostic looking for tampering.

Advertisers