Bafang BBS02b 350w, 36v 17.5mah battery, lacks power at low cadence - normal?

Sevlewkowicz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 11, 2014
Hi. I've been trying to re program the BBS02 using the cable and software, with some success. However, I find the motor lacks power at low revs / cadence, compared with the 350w Tongsheng TSDZ2, which this motor replaced.
Is there any way of programming the motor with the software to deliver more grunt at low revs? It seems to me when riding that the motor only really starts helping when you have already pushed hard to establish a higher cadence, with very little help from the motor, compared to the Tongsheng. Is this because the Tongsheng is torque sensitive, and the Bafang is not? If someone could tell me the setting for max power at low revs, I have enough knowledge to take it from there.
Thanks in advance.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi. I've been trying to re program the BBS02 using the cable and software, with some success. However, I find the motor lacks power at low revs / cadence, compared with the 350w Tongsheng TSDZ2, which this motor replaced.
Is there any way of programming the motor with the software to deliver more grunt at low revs? It seems to me when riding that the motor only really starts helping when you have already pushed hard to establish a higher cadence, with very little help from the motor, compared to the Tongsheng. Is this because the Tongsheng is torque sensitive, and the Bafang is not? If someone could tell me the setting for max power at low revs, I have enough knowledge to take it from there.
Thanks in advance.
Different sellers sell these motors with different settings. Quite often, they come with the "keep current" set much too low, which is the current allowed during continuous pedalling. Personally, I don't see the point of it, so I'd always set it to 100%. You might find yours set as low as 20%.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, keep current on my BBS01B was originally 20%, it's a different beast with Keep Current at 100%. Glad I didn't return the kit for a refund. Also on my bike at least, these settings for "Slow-start Mode" and "Start Degree" work really well, the motor starts assisting fast. I always start on a low gear, quick pedal pushes. "Start Current" at 10% makes my bike more controllable making U-turns.

Last edited:

Advertisers