Bafang BPM Old Style Clutch - where can i get one?

dylan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 12, 2008
hi Guys
I have an old Bafang BPM 48V500W Rear Driving - RPM : 328 from BMS Battery
the motor runs ok but I believe the clutch is faulty
you have to pull away very slowly otherwise the motor makes a loud screeching / clicking noise
it fine once its up to speed
I opened up the motor with the special tool took out the clutch, cleaned & checked the 3 white plastic gears (all ok)
re-greased the gears & refitted everything & it still has exactly the same fault
I can't find anyone selling the correct replacement clutch (please see attached pictures)
its the older style clutch with the 4 key slots in the central shaft
I can only find the new style clutch with the 1 key slot online to purchase
does anyone have a clutch to sell or can you tell me where to get one?
Thank you in advance
Dylan

Attachments

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Otherwise Alixpress or BMS battery?

Edit - Nope can't find anything might be worth an email to BMS?

Last edited:
Reactions: dylan

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you checked the side plate sealed bearing for rough rotation to rule out a bearing screech ?
Turn it with your fingers to see if it feels notchy or rough also the same with the planet gears they can be replaced.
The 4 key way clutch is obsolete now and was replaced in 2014 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: dylan

dylan

Oct 12, 2008
thank you for the replies.
it's not the bearings, definitely the clutch
I have emailed BMS Battery, waiting a reply
if anyone knows where I can get an old style clutch I would be most greatful
thank you
Dylan

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You could ask the question on ES forum to see if an answer comes up
or
you could try taking a new single keyway clutch to an engineering machine shop and see if it is possible for them laser cut/mill out three more keyways, using the old one as a pattern to copy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are lots of variants of the clutch units on the BPM, 1 key, 2 keys, 4 keys and some don't fit even when they have the same number of Woodruff keys.
Send it to Southend if you are stuck.

Jackytwoshoes

Mar 29, 2019
I had a good experience getting parts for my Bafang hub from Greenbikekit. Just send them all the details and they might be able to to help. It's worth being specific about size of clutch, size of gears, number of teeth etc..

dylan

Oct 12, 2008
You could ask the question on ES forum to see if an answer comes up
or
you could try taking a new single keyway clutch to an engineering machine shop and see if it is possible for them laser cut/mill out three more keyways, using the old one as a pattern to copy.

bugsy

Jun 12, 2013
hi Guys
I have an old Bafang BPM 48V500W Rear Driving - RPM : 328 from BMS Battery
the motor runs ok but I believe the clutch is faulty
you have to pull away very slowly otherwise the motor makes a loud screeching / clicking noise
it fine once its up to speed
I opened up the motor with the special tool took out the clutch, cleaned & checked the 3 white plastic gears (all ok)
re-greased the gears & refitted everything & it still has exactly the same fault
I can't find anyone selling the correct replacement clutch (please see attached pictures)
its the older style clutch with the 4 key slots in the central shaft
I can only find the new style clutch with the 1 key slot online to purchase
does anyone have a clutch to sell or can you tell me where to get one?
Thank you in advance
Dylan
Hi Dylan,
Try this site.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Great find .

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I had a good experience getting parts for my Bafang hub from Greenbikekit. Just send them all the details and they might be able to to help. It's worth being specific about size of clutch, size of gears, number of teeth etc..
No chance as they only sell the newer one slot clutch. I will have a similar problem if any of the 3 balls in it get damaged. And I would have to grind away the rivets on the outside cover to get even that far! In my case the shaft is the longer version, about 10mm and the available one slot replacements are only 3mm or so. Sad we have such a short production period. My Bafang CST rear hub only came out in 2012? and the clutch was changed only 2 years later!

Advertisers