Bafang hub opener tool - anyone sell/hire/lend me ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need to to replace the missing circlip. Install the ball bearing back on the shell lid before re-assembling the motor.
I had a similar situation when I fixed the gearbox on my old motorbike many years ago but can't remember how I did it. May be you can use two large washers, a bolt and two nuts like a clamp to press the ball bearing into the lid.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Bad new :( but some good

So I (eventually) managed to get the motor back together with new gear set in place

No load test - runs perfect so far

Bad news - the entry side axle took a few too many big hits and the axle has slightly bulged at the top ( still straight though)

No way the nut could go on

So I did what in retrospect was a bad idea and I tried to file the very top . It looks ok but cannot get the nut on

Is there any solution to this ? or is this the nail in the coffin ?

Thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need an M10 metric fine (x1mm) circular die to re thread the motor axle.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
File the bulge off making sure the end of the axle tapered, then if you have a spare nut, saw it in half, clamp the nut onto the axle then unscrew it off the axle, make sure you oil the threads first, you may need to do this a couple of times but it does work, my 40 years in engineering has proved this.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks both - I'm bailing out on this though and taking down to my LBS to fix. I'd rather my first rethreading attempt was on a a couple of old bolts than my newly repaired motor axle !

all in all this first motor repair has been a steep but very useful learning curve

next time will be a breeze

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
You won't damage the thread the way I suggested the nut simply follows the original thread and cleans it up, glad you managed to get this far with your repair, good luck. John

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You won't damage the thread the way I suggested the nut simply follows the original thread and cleans it up, glad you managed to get this far with your repair, good luck. John
Ahh - I see what you mean now. I think I may have filed it too much for that. But next time I will certainly try !

Still they only charge me a fiver for re thread and new but which seems very fair

Whole thing back on the bike and I went out for a quick blast . It was great !

Just one issue - I only did 2 miles and the motor seemed rather hot. In particular on the small inner plate (one with three screws )

So I'm tentatively happy ...... But worried it's got a problem and will go again very quickly

Advertisers