Bafang mid mount motor

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I have a couple of questions on battery care if anyone can answer them for me?
Do I switch battery off when putting it on charge?

No check with battery supplier but normally it needs to be on so that the BMS (battery management system) can do it job (balancing the power between the numerous cells.

Do I use battery until totally flat before recharging (someone once told me rechargeable batteries needed to be empty now and again to get a proper full charge into them, maybe talking phone batteries at time)?

No the received wisdom seems to be, Charge it & use it - but you can improve upon that by not letting it go below 20%, if unused for a month leave it around 60% & check monthly & fully charge just before it gets to 20% & then use to take it back down to 60%. The reason to fully charge is that most BMS only balance from 100% - your battery supplier will have told you if it comes with a smart BMS that is able to balance below 100%. Finally when you get back from a ride don't charge it until say the day before you next need to use it, as the battery will last slightly longer if not left fully charged & unused for several days. If you charge it on the day, leave say 15 minutes before using, to allow the battery to settle down.

Rob.
48v charge rates.JPG

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Ahh right ,didn't realise it takes so long to charge the battery, I obviously took it off charge too early thinking it does them no good to be on too long. Thought it was about 3 hours to charge it...dohh
I went out for a quick 5.5 mile test ride this morning and it felt great.
Battery is now showing 71% which ties in with not being fully charged to start with.
Is it best to now let it run down a bit and then fully charge it overnight? Or do I stick it on charge now and get it to 100%?
The hills I normally dread are now much more comfortable and I did wack it up to 9 now and again but on the easier stuff I just kept it in level 2 or 3 . I still came back with a sweat on and covered the 5.5 miles in 19 minutes with average speed of 16.4 mph so im pretty happy with that. Maxed out at 29.5 mph but that was down the steepest hill free wheeling to be honest. I could not pedal fast enough.
Regards
Rob.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ahh right ,didn't realise it takes so long to charge the battery, I obviously took it off charge too early thinking it does them no good to be on too long. Thought it was about 3 hours to charge it...dohh
I went out for a quick 5.5 mile test ride this morning and it felt great.
Battery is now showing 71% which ties in with not being fully charged to start with.
Is it best to now let it run down a bit and then fully charge it overnight? Or do I stick it on charge now and get it to 100%?
The hills I normally dread are now much more comfortable and I did wack it up to 9 now and again but on the easier stuff I just kept it in level 2 or 3 . I still came back with a sweat on and covered the 5.5 miles in 19 minutes with average speed of 16.4 mph so im pretty happy with that. Maxed out at 29.5 mph but that was down the steepest hill free wheeling to be honest. I could not pedal fast enough.
Regards
Rob.
I should have said 8 -9 hrs is with a 2a charger.
Unless using the bike it is better to leave the battery at about 50 -70% and then top up the charge a few hours before use.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Ok that's great,thanks for the tips.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Rob.
Have a look at this thread for more information about BBSxx

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/after-market-bbsxx-crank-drive-gear.32691/

I would suggest you look into the programming cable, as you can then alter the motor to fit both the bike (its gears) & your body

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/custom-ebike-motor-programming/bbshd-programming/43287-basics-of-programming-bbs02-and-bbshd-mid-drives

https://www.poweredride.com/info/bbshd-and-bbs02-configuration-programming-resources

Reactions: RobN

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Well I went out on it again today, as I have been dodging the downpours and working as well.
The wife came with me on her non ebike. Ummmm....it is chalk and cheese...! I was cruising on ahead of her and coming back to see where she was..! To be fair I did say have a go on mine to see how it is but she was fine catching me up when I pulled over for her. She has had a go of mine so knows what it is like but I think she was putting a brave face on.
I have to say its fantastic . We only did 8 mile and it was a mix of road and bridleway but the bike felt superb. See a hill, no more sighs and gritting of teeth... its just get on with it, with a bit of assistance if needed.
Next job is to get a kit for my wifes bike so we are on an equal playing field then its time to extend our rides and go a bit further afield.
Happy days.
Regards
Rob.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
OK so done about 30 miles on it and the battery was on 27% so I decided to charge it up .
Plugged in the charger (2amp) and left if for 9 hours. Light was now green on charger so switched it off and disconnected it. Switched on the display screen and it shows 85% full only ?
Went out on bike again and all is well , it goes great.
I did have a conversation with someone who said if the battery is left on when charging it charges it like at the factory ie, only gives it a certain amount of charge ,not a full charge. He said switch battery off when charging and it should bring it up to full charge?
Can anybody clarify for me ?
Regards
Rob.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
OK so done about 30 miles on it and the battery was on 27% so I decided to charge it up .
Plugged in the charger (2amp) and left if for 9 hours. Light was now green on charger so switched it off and disconnected it. Switched on the display screen and it shows 85% full only ?
Went out on bike again and all is well , it goes great.
I did have a conversation with someone who said if the battery is left on when charging it charges it like at the factory ie, only gives it a certain amount of charge ,not a full charge. He said switch battery off when charging and it should bring it up to full charge?
Can anybody clarify for me ?
Regards
Rob.
switch the display to volts not percentage - as I have found that the percentage is not always accurate.
52V battery charge.JPG

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Yep will do next time its being charged. I have used it since last charge so wont be full now.
Regards
Rob.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Not sure if im childish at 50 years old but I get a lot of pleasure out of overtaking people on road bikes with all the gear on.(them with the gear not me) I see them ahead and reel them in..I know its the motor as opposed to me getting me past them but it makes me smug doing it.
Do I need to grow up or is it all part of the fun of having an ebike?

Only trouble is I leave my wife behind while I do it so end up pulling over further on waiting for the road bike to catch up and then the wife to bumble along afterwards..!

I have just got my wife a rear hub kit though but more on that in a separate thread once it arrives.

I am not fully happy with my wiring set up on mine yet so will tidy it a bit better this week with some of that plastic cable spiral binding stuff which has just been delivered.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not sure if im childish at 50 years old but I get a lot of pleasure out of overtaking people on road bikes with all the gear on.(them with the gear not me) I see them ahead and reel them in..I know its the motor as opposed to me getting me past them but it makes me smug doing it.
Do I need to grow up or is it all part of the fun of having an ebike?
You need to grow up and behave :D.

On the other hand you only live once, plus you are showing them what they are missing out on :).
Carry on that man.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
OK Guys,
I have finished my Cube Attention ebike conversion and am quite happy with the outcome.
Performance wise its just what I wanted and does exactly what I need it to do.
It was a bit more difficult than I thought but for my first attempt and with the help of you guys I think its turned out pretty good.
I wasn't happy with the cable routing as I seemed to have cables on every tube but ive redone it and its a bit better now .
I will post some pics to show how it looks.

Attachments

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
As I could not get the lock ring on the motor I thread locked the nut and marked it with a dab of paint on it, so at least I should see if it starts to work loose.

Attachments

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
And then I put 2 new puncture resistant tyres on it as I intend going a bit further on the bike now and don't fancy road side repairs if I can avoid them. Swalbe land cruiser plus which should be ok for road and bit of off road riding.( I wont be flying down mountain ..!)
And here is the finished item.

Attachments

Reactions: Kinninvie and Gavin

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Great work Rob. Looks a bit clean for my liking though- time to get her muddy!

As a side-note, those tyres look like Schwalbe Land Cruisers....let me know how you get on in the mud with them (I'm considering a set for myself)....cheers.

Enjoy!

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks Gavin,
Yeh land cruisers , which look much skinnier than the ones I took off (which were definitely just off road tyres ) but im hoping they are good allrounders for road and dirt tracks.
As you say I just need to get out on it now ...!
Regards
Rob.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
OK Guys,
So im awake at 05:00 am this morn, looks out window, not raining. Great, lets have a quick blast whilst roads are quiet.
I have a 5 mile road route which I walk or cycle round when I get the chance.
I did it in 19:34 mins on first go the other day with my new bafang kit. Then I did it in 15:32 pushing on a bit and using a bit of level 9 a few days later. I had only used the pedal assist.
Today I experimented and wanted to push on so I used the throttle on the hilly bits whilst still pedalling.
14.03 mins with an average speed of 22 mph , still got a good sweat on and legs like jelly but its fantastic...! Did notice the battery took a hit 73% down to 42%.
The new skinny tyres made a difference as the old ones were 2.4 whilst the landcrusiers are 2.0 and a lot harder and roll a lot easier on tarmac . Not sure what they will be like on the rough stuff.
Have I mentioned im quite pleased with these ebikes...?
Happy days..

Quick question, how hot is too hot for the motor to get?
I touched it when putting it back in the garage and it felt warm but not hot enough to say "whooaa that's hot". And it was not hot enough to burn my hand or anything.
I do no want to cook it or destroy it ,or the battery so any advice s appreciated.
Regards
Rob

Reactions: Gavin

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Out again for a 12 mile blast on the roads this afternoon. Whilst it was not raining.
Went out with 40% on the battery ,so I thought I better put in some of the effort at least today..!
Bit of a head wind against me much of the time but never a problem. Just getting used to how and when to change gear, ease off the peddling, change gear, then put the effort in again makes it much smoother of a change. Wore cycling glasses today as bugs in the eyes at speed are not recommended as I have found out. No hill fills me with fear now, its just crack on and get it done. Seeing bikes ahead of me is like red flags to a bull..!
A mile from home down a longish straight road I saw my next victim, Lycrad up ,they were head down cycling hard into the wind...I up my assistance and im in pursuit. Very quickly im flying past them at 25mph ish, as they probably think what the hell did he have for breakfast...as they battle along at about 15mph... Im sure they heard me chuckling to myself or saw my shoulders going up and down like "dastardly and muttly".
Oh its brought back the joys of cycling to me!

Back to being mature , I have found my battery does charge when switched off and its final charge is 54.6V as Nealh said it should be so all is good. Covered almost 70 miles and charged it fully twice now. I will be happy if my battery can do a 34 mile route I have in mind which will include a long climb and a few shorter hills. I will let you know if it does soon hopefully.

Advertisers