Bafang problem

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Hi folks,about one year ago I posted about a problem where my bbs01b would suddenly just lose all power and I could not find the problem A member on here pointed me to the white connector covered in silicon and that proved to be a bad connection so problem solved
Now I have the same problem but this time it does not appear to be the white connector or any other connector .I have checked all going into the controller,all the battery and wiring connectors and all are clean and tight
Just previous to the loss of power there is a buzz like a welder arcing which worried me as thought I have a short and something is gonna burnout.If I unbolt the controller and have a look inside it seems to start working but not for long
When it does work I spin it on the thumb throttle and try to find a loose connection by tugging the wires but that does not stop the motor. Any suggestions would be very greatfully received
Ken J

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Personally I always start investigating connection issues at the battery/rail connection point

If you have HL style then the receiving springs can get bent out a tad over time. And also a bit of corrosion. A bit of a bend and then clean can sort quite a few issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Personally I always start investigating connection issues at the battery/rail connection point

If you have HL style then the receiving springs can get bent out a tad over time. And also a bit of corrosion. A bit of a bend and then clean can sort quite a few issues

Check both phase wires and power connections at the controller side too. They are just bullet connectors and bit of crimp doesn't do any harm either . Check no metal is exposed that might short . Just some insulating tape

Finally I'd suggest continuity testing the phases and power connections

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Hi folks,about one year ago I posted about a problem where my bbs01b would suddenly just lose all power and I could not find the problem A member on here pointed me to the white connector covered in silicon and that proved to be a bad connection so problem solved
Now I have the same problem but this time it does not appear to be the white connector or any other connector .I have checked all going into the controller,all the battery and wiring connectors and all are clean and tight
Just previous to the loss of power there is a buzz like a welder arcing which worried me as thought I have a short and something is gonna burnout.If I unbolt the controller and have a look inside it seems to start working but not for long
When it does work I spin it on the thumb throttle and try to find a loose connection by tugging the wires but that does not stop the motor. Any suggestions would be very greatfully received
Ken J
Well I still have this problem and had to cycle with no electric for 28kms yesterday including some steep hills it was no fun. After the ride I again withdrew thewhite connector cleaned the 5pins it connects to with contact cleaner and covered the pins with contact gel. I can not see anything that keeps the spacer between the circuit board and the white plug that plugs into it from coming out and assume its the usual chinese crap way of doing things and prob why they smother it all in silicon to stick it . Today I tested and within 400 metres the buzzing coming thro the pedals was back and the motor was making a loud humming sound. However it then cleared and I completed another 55kms with many hills incl one of 18deg and had no further problems. I am stuck for ideas now. Possible a dry joint on the pc board or a loose or part broken connection however if that would it clear and do 55kms with no apparent fault. So has anyone had a dry joint with similar symtoms? I used to prepare and maintain GP motorbikes so the conversion was carefully carried out besides I have nothing left to check externally. The battery ws showing 42v before the ride yesterday and 36v after approx 9kms so I am thinking its OK

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What battery are you using as a 6v drop after 9km or so is only about 5.5 - 6miles and not very good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sorry slip of the finger it was 90kms and its a 15ah battery 14months old with samsung cells
That's pretty good, so the main issue is a pick up issue. Either wire/controller fault. Loud buzzing noise could be a poor phase wire contact so next time you venture into the motor check the tightness of the three phase connections. If necessary gently crimp then together tighter.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
To those who tried to help many thanks. As of this morning I still had not solved the problem. However after again peddling back 30kms with no electric I have now soldered the bullet connectors fromthe battery and also the phase wires. They all tight before but now I have resoldered as many joints as I can and some did look very poor dry joints. So if this last effort does not fixit there is not much left maybe the cell connecting plate welds but i'm not happy opening a battery that is still in warrantee. I did ask the uk company i bought the kit from if they can supply a motor which i am happy to pay for but got no answer to this. I'm thinking that back up on these products is sadly lacking. Maybe we should shame these so called professional traders and praise the ones who have given good after sales service for the benefit of others

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I don't see a problem with naming any company that has given you poor service or backup, but you have to consider this when making your purchase. If a reseller on Ebay is offering a product for £400 that an estabished reputable company wants £500 for, then there will be something missing, and it's normally CS, unfortunatly, it isn't free. Of course telling the good from the bad is no easy matter, but price is a good guide.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A part from a brake cut off issue with causing no power , then I think any power issues with the BBS is a internal and a controller fault which is only remedied with a new controller.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Today I will give it a run of mnimum 50kms after soldering the phase wire bullets and also the battery connecting bullets. After I resoldered the hall connecting points on the pcb I then tested it over 300kms with no problem until it suddenly failed again yesterday. It seems to lose power first before shutting down and the motor hums sometimes. Its a bloody pain as I can see no signs of arcing on any wires but it sounds like I should see something . Can it be the controller when it can be so intermittant?

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
I don't see a problem with naming any company that has given you poor service or backup, but you have to consider this when making your purchase. If a reseller on Ebay is offering a product for £400 that an estabished reputable company wants £500 for, then there will be something missing, and it's normally CS, unfortunatly, it isn't free. Of course telling the good from the bad is no easy matter, but price is a good guide.
I bought the kit from a uk company often mentioned on this forum and charging the correct price (competitive with others) unfortunately when my cutting out problem started I asked if they could suggest where the fault may lie and got no reply. Since then I have asked if they can supply a new bare motor as I figure substitution is the way to solve the problem and yet again they fid not reply. When I bought my lekkie chain ringI bought of brighton bikes and because he was helpfull hehas had another sale of a complete kit on recommendation from me. There is a lot of interest in my conversion and will likely lead to more sales but I will not be recommending the company my motor came from.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
I bought the kit from a uk company often mentioned on this forum and charging the correct price (competitive with others) unfortunately when my cutting out problem started I asked if they could suggest where the fault may lie and got no reply. Since then I have asked if they can supply a new bare motor as I figure substitution is the way to solve the problem and yet again they fid not reply. When I bought my lekkie chain ringI bought of brighton bikes and because he was helpfull hehas had another sale of a complete kit on recommendation from me. There is a lot of interest in my conversion and will likely lead to more sales but I will not be recommending the company my motor came from.
I was happy to pay for a new bare motor I did not ask for a freebee.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
intermittent faults are difficult to fix. I came across a case sometime ago that if the bolts that secure the motor casing were tightened beyond a certain number of turns, they put stress on the controller board and stopped the motor. I replaced the controller.

Advertisers