Bafang right motor?

biky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2014
Hello to all

I am a new member but have been looking at this forum for a while and have taken a liking to the Bafang motor, but have a few questions, firstly would this fit on a Kona Kikapu 9?

Was also wondering which watt would be the most suitable as I have read that some can fold the framework of some weaker bikes that aren't purpose e-kit made. As I ride off road I would like to be able to hit at least 30mph hopefully 40mph+
I wieght 90kg and am around 1.85cm if this helps regardingm wattage.
While I found cyclezee selling it in the U.K without delivery charges and am tempted but wanted opinions from thos with this or similar models.

Thanks for reading and any answers given

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hello to all

I am a new member but have been looking at this forum for a while and have taken a liking to the Bafang motor, but have a few questions, firstly would this fit on a Kona Kikapu 9?

Was also wondering which watt would be the most suitable as I have read that some can fold the framework of some weaker bikes that aren't purpose e-kit made. As I ride off road I would like to be able to hit at least 30mph hopefully 40mph+
I wieght 90kg and am around 1.85cm if this helps regardingm wattage.
While I found cyclezee selling it in the U.K without delivery charges and am tempted but wanted opinions from thos with this or similar models.

Thanks for reading and any answers given
1. It will fit the Kona but you lose the smaller chain ring.
2. there is very little space available inside the triangle to fit a bottle battery, you may have to build your own battery and put it inside a soft frame bag.
3. The maximum speed on flat road is about 24mph with the 36V 25A BBS01 and 12 teeth on the smallest cog.

The good news is the 8-Fun BBS-01 is very easy to fit.

Reactions: biky

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah - even the 48v750w won't be able to do 40mph. I do wonder why you want to go that fast though? That's World Cup DH rider speeds.

If you're riding on trails shared with other bikes and walkers, then you really want to keep your speed down anyway. I had a bike that would top 40mph but I felt uncomfortable on it at anything above 30mph - both for the reasons "christ I'm on a bike doing 30mph" and for the self concious aspect of it - and that was riding on a perfectly smooth cycle path that was 30 feet wide for most of it.

If you really do want that kind of speed (and I'd advise you to think carefully about it) then have a look at the LR GNG kit and get a controller that can take high volts (63v or 72v).

http://www.lightningrodev.com/kits/index.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

As I ride off road I would like to be able to hit at least 30mph hopefully 40mph+
You need about 1000w to cruise at 30 mph in ideal conditions. 2KW would be more like it for realistic 30 mph. You'll need a massive battery to provide that sort of power. How far do you want to go?

biky

Mar 24, 2014
1. It will fit the Kona but you lose the smaller chain ring.
2. there is very little space available inside the triangle to fit a bottle battery, you may have to build your own battery and put it inside a soft frame bag.
3. The maximum speed on flat road is about 24mph with the 36V 25A BBS01 and 12 teeth on the smallest cog.

The good news is the 8-Fun BBS-01 is very easy to fit.
If losing the smaller ring does it make a diference long term? I assume not.
Batterywise I am fine with having it one the handlebars, mudguards etc as I would probably end up putting more packs on later on anyhow. But I have seen videos on youtube of the bafang and I think the GNG also going 25mph at least so not sure :S

biky

Mar 24, 2014
Yeah - even the 48v750w won't be able to do 40mph. I do wonder why you want to go that fast though? That's World Cup DH rider speeds.

If you're riding on trails shared with other bikes and walkers, then you really want to keep your speed down anyway. I had a bike that would top 40mph but I felt uncomfortable on it at anything above 30mph - both for the reasons "christ I'm on a bike doing 30mph" and for the self concious aspect of it - and that was riding on a perfectly smooth cycle path that was 30 feet wide for most of it.

If you really do want that kind of speed (and I'd advise you to think carefully about it) then have a look at the LR GNG kit and get a controller that can take high volts (63v or 72v).

http://www.lightningrodev.com/kits/index.html
I have a dirtbike and love the idea of having a fast bicycle to match, always wanted one but they're more available, I have forests near me that are not really used so the paths are clear of people. That kit looks interesting, can't find any videos and the sipping from USA would be pretty pricey, are there any others like that tht would be suitable, preferably around the £600 range.

biky

Mar 24, 2014
You need about 1000w to cruise at 30 mph in ideal conditions. 2KW would be more like it for realistic 30 mph. You'll need a massive battery to provide that sort of power. How far do you want to go?
I have seen some 1000w kits on ebay, assuming I picked a non chinese made hub motor would that be suitable? range wise I would like to get at least 30 miles on it which from what I have seen is reasonable.

biky

Mar 24, 2014
Well I have been looking at this, seems fairly priced for the motor.

http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/product.php?productid=16589&cat=313&page=1

Would I be able to split and use 2 38v batteries? to cut cost and spread the weight? The crystalyte motor is pretty much what I wanted but I am still unsure of what else I would need or even if my bike is strong enough for a motor like this. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Arbol

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
something like this one?

seriously, the TC from Crystalyte is a big beast.
building high power bikes is tricky. You'll need a lot of experience and about £2000, ask sacko.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Are these e-bikes, or are they already mopeds?

From the videos about these big motors, the question I have is if it does not make sense to build mopeds using bike components. Prices are going down, and you would end up with a light vehicle for urban usage, strong acceleration and nimble handling. Instead of trying to build a bike, that probably is impossible to pedal.

This world of electric motors is interesting, indeed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Read the story here:

http://extronebike.ca

It's very doable - with experience.
biky wants a bike to ride in the woods near where he lives.

biky

Mar 24, 2014
something like this one?

seriously, the TC from Crystalyte is a big beast.
building high power bikes is tricky. You'll need a lot of experience and about £2000, ask sacko.
But I am not planning to build a high power bike only put a motor onto my existing bike, my bike has disc brakes etc so all it needs it motor battery and controls. I do have some concern about weight as Arbol mentioned, but it can't add too much weight I assume arond 15kg mas which is a fair amount but still worth it to me, one thing I dont understand is if I purchase the motor without the wheel how to do go about the spokes do I buy custom small ones or something else? From that link he had to have them sent outto him, does this apply always? Surely everyone who has done this hasn't bought the spokes like that?

biky

Mar 24, 2014
Might be worth asking too, are therespecific controls I would need to get, is there anything I have missed out?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
But I am not planning to build a high power bike only put a motor onto my existing bike, my bike has disc brakes etc so all it needs it motor battery and controls.
With 250W motor, you can get up to 20mph derestricted, 350W up to 22mph, 500W up to 24mph. You can run 36V battery up to 500W.
for fun bikes, it should be the 48V BPM CST motor. Total motor + battery about 8-9kgs.
But if you want 30-40mph, even on flat roads, you need 1,000 to 2,000W DD motor and a 72V battery.
Make a shopping list from bmsbattery.com website, post it here, members will tell you if it's right and where to get it. You should buy the kit at one place to save on transport cost.

Last edited:

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
With 250W motor, you can get up to 20mph derestricted, 350W up to 22mph, 500W up to 24mph. You can run 36V battery up to 500W.
for fun bikes, it should be the 48V BPM CST motor. Total motor + battery about 8-9kgs.
But if you want 30-40mph, even on flat roads, you need 1,000 to 2,000W DD motor and a 72V battery.
Make a shopping list from bmsbattery.com website, post it here, members will tell you if it's right and where to get it. You should buy the kit at one place to save on transport cost.
A CST run at 48V can do 32mph??? (I am assuming the 24mph is for 36V, and 32mph = 24*48/36). I guess the calculation also depends on the rpm version and if the wheel is 26'' or 700c.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Is there in the UK a regulation for small motorbikes (like the 49cc ones), with a license up to 45km/h (it would be something like 30mph)? In Spain, there is such a regulation (apart from another one for 125cc motorbikes, and two other licenses for bigger motorbikes).

Could one consider this regulation similar to the S regulation in Germany (I believe it is for e-bikes also up to 45km/h)? Or in other words, could one build a bike with a CST at 48V, and try and legalize it as a small motorbike, allowing the bike to run at 45km/h?

Advertisers