Bafang Thumb-throttle wiring diagram to show plug pin orientation.

Giocast

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2020
I realise i'm being lazy here, but partly because I can't dismantle the above unit with ease:-

Basically I purchased a thumb-throttle unit which was listed as being for a mid-drive Bafang despite mine being a rear-hub Bafang and it doesn't work.

I can see that this is basically a rheostat obviously and it needs only two wires to work, and the connection of these do not need to be polarity specific, but the plug has 3 pins so it's possibly that Bafang chose to use a different group of 2 out of the 3 on mid-drive to that used on rear-hub drive.
Before I go chopping things open, can anyone confirm this please? - it would save me a lot of work at my age/cognisance/grateful for specific help on this

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hub and mid drive Bafang both use a Hall sensor throttle so three wires, the signal is simply supplied via magnet movement away from the sensor.
Often what occurs is a lot of systems use a Bafang hub but don't use a Bafang electrical system, instead they opt to use a lishui, a kt or other system to power/control the motor.
It depends on the system your hu uses as the wire sequence used for the connectors are not standard, if it is the yellow/black wp connector then there are two make Julet used by non Bafang systems and Higo as used by Bafang esp on mid drive kits. One has to identify both connectors to confirm if this is the issue, though the two are wholly compatible fit wise they are compatible wire sequence wise.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ideally show us a clear pic of both connectors, usually one will find the embossed name written on the connector body.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Thanks for at least replying but it's the wiring diagram bit I needed.. connector part number won't show which of 3 connected or orientation??
problem solved as rigged up a test to confirm new unit not working.
How was it solved?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I managed to work out which 2 of the 3 pins were used, and it's common to both Bafang set-ups just as i'd thought, the two pins nearest the orientation "spline".
A common courtesy on forums would be to disclose the solution, after asking questions. .... Just saying!

Giocast

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2020
Hub and mid drive Bafang both use a Hall sensor throttle so three wires, the signal is simply supplied via magnet movement away from the sensor.
Often what occurs is a lot of systems use a Bafang hub but don't use a Bafang electrical system, instead they opt to use a lishui, a kt or other system to power/control the motor.
It depends on the system your hu uses as the wire sequence used for the connectors are not standard, if it is the yellow/black wp connector then there are two make Julet used by non Bafang systems and Higo as used by Bafang esp on mid drive kits. One has to identify both connectors to confirm if this is the issue, though the two are wholly compatible fit wise they are compatible wire sequence wise.
Sorry, I somehow missed this reply but soldiered on rigging up a test to see which pins would make the rear wheel turn.

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
A common courtesy on most Forums I visit would start by saying "Sorry I couldn't help by answering your questions but etc" rather than a rather curt "how was it solved?" as though you were talking to someone you already knew hence no need for pleasantries, plus I did mostly explain how I solved my problem anyway - also "just saying"...
I don't know you, and you posted that you had solved it, with no explanation? ..... We are not psychic....

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Welcome to the forum. You're going to be really popular......

Advertisers