Batribike Sigma

BikerRob

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2022
On Wednesday I purchased a brand new battery for my BATRIBIKE SIGMA. A375Wh battery (the cheapest battery in their range, and the same size as my previous one).The following day I cycled a route following a canal towpath. Total round trip of 11 miles

Most of the way I was on battery level 1 in high gear. For a mile I even switched of power and was under my own steam, again, in high gear. This was level ground and no headwinds.

On the return journey at 7 miles on the odometer, the battery level indicator suddenly dropped to half, but fluctuated from half to full, and back again. There were a few minor inclines at lock gates, but again, hardly taxing on the battery, or even me. At mile 10the battery indicator showed two bars and it stayed on the two bars back to my starting point. A total distance of 11 miles. I was at this point in gear 2/3.
On return I immediately put the battery on charge.

The following day I cycled along a contour Canal . It was frosty and there was some ice on the water but the sun was shining and air temperature was 4°C, this was easy cycling, even for me at 75.

Again, at 7 miles the battery level fluctuated from half to full. I stopped at one stage and the level fluctuated from half to full several times whilst I was not moving the bike at all. At mile 9 the indicator stayed at level two till my return to my starting point. A total distance of 12 miles.

I can fully understand on hilly terrain, head winds, carrying capacity and hard cycling can drain the battery at a quicker rate. However, this time, there were no taxing cycling, or even headwind.

As this was level cycling. Surely a brand new battery should give at last 25 miles? Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
A new battery that's likely been sitting in storage for a while never gives of it's best until it's been used a few times. Use it until you're down to one bar if you can and then recharge to full for the first few uses.

Never charge the battery when it's cold (outside or after a ride in the cold). Wait for it to warm through first. When you charge, charge till the green charger light comes on and then leave it charging for another hour or two which helps balance the cells.

If you still have shorter than expected range after that, let us know.

BikerRob

Jan 23, 2022
A new battery that's likely been sitting in storage for a while never gives of it's best until it's been used a few times. Use it until you're down to one bar if you can and then recharge to full for the first few uses.

Never charge the battery when it's cold (outside or after a ride in the cold). Wait for it to warm through first. When you charge, charge till the green charger light comes on and then leave it charging for another hour or two which helps balance the cells.

Thanks for that. The battery is still under warranty so will give it a few more cycles to see what happens.

BikerRob

Jan 23, 2022

Day four of using the new battery which is Li-ion 36v 8.8Ah 317Wh. This info from the battery label. Yesterday I took my bike on a 12.8 mile cycle. There and back on the same route. Showed significant drop-5 bars at 5.3 (photo)miles and again fluctuated from five to full. This was at a stand still. At the end of the cycle the battery level showed 2.
TODAY
I put the new battery in my wife’s bike. (Testing the theory that my bike may be at fault), which is identical to mine (Sigma) and cycled the exact same route. Battery power decreased to 5 bars after 4.2 miles and showed zero power at 11.2. Thus, unable to complete yesterday’s rout.
Cycling conditions were the same as yesterday. Tyre pressure was possibly over inflated, but marginally so.
My wife’s bike and battery are good and the new battery should have worked perfectly on hers. Alas, no luck.
I took photos of the odometer at various distance. Also a video of the fluctuating bars and sent them to the seller. When speaking to him a short while ago I said the battery is not fit for purpose and must be a dud. He said it may be the charger! So am taking it through to him tomorrow where he said he can do a definitive test. Having spent £552 on this battery,
I am less than enchanted.
Any advice? Thanks... Rob

Attachments

BikerRob

Jan 23, 2022
Yes, try your best to get your money back, then get in contact with Jimmy @ebike batteries who can more than likely recell your old battery, increase it's capacity and save you £200.

Just tried asking for my money back and was refused as their battery checking apparatus said the battery was 100% with no sign of defect and they refused to refund. They are sending another battery next Friday, but I have the feeling they think i am a liar in claiming that a battery I have used four times within the week of purchase is faulty. I have to say I am a little cheesed of with BATRIBIKE.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Just tried asking for my money back and was refused as their battery checking apparatus said the battery was 100% with no sign of defect and they refused to refund. They are sending another battery next Friday, but I have the feeling they think i am a liar in claiming that a battery I have used four times within the week of purchase is faulty. I have to say I am a little cheesed of with BATRIBIKE.
I'm not that clued up on such things, but I'm fairly certain you are within your rights to refuse the replacement and demand a refund, esp. a week after purchase. Why send you a new battery if there is nothing wrong with the one you have? I would love to know what apparatus they used to diagnose your battery's health. They would have needed to do a full discharge/recharge to measure it's capacity which takes several hours and I doubt very much they have the equipment to carry out such testing. £550 is a hell of a lot of money for such a small battery, how much is a larger one from them?

BikerRob

Jan 23, 2022
They have given me a brand new battery so we’ll see what happens this time. So, reading from the previous comments.
Brand new batteries reach their full potential after a few charges? I’ll preserve with this battery.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I would love to know what apparatus they used to diagnose your battery's health.
It's similar to many other manufacturers - click. The second image confirms it works with the OP's Sigma battery.

BikerRob

Jan 23, 2022
The second battery they sent was also a dud. Battery went to zero (out of 7) after only 16.3 miles. This was along a sealed disused railway line. Next day I put the battery on my wife’s bike (also a SIGMA), thinking my bike may have had a fault. This time I got to 16.8 miles. I did get my money back, but, for BATRIBIKE users, do be careful when getting a new battery.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As a chunky 19st rider, I used my 36v TranzX (quality cells) 403Wh/11.2Ah battery on my hybrid 700c wheeled Ebco e-bike this morning. I know I can get 35+ mixed terrain miles out of this battery normally in warmer, calmer weather.

This morning... 18mph winds, 5c temperature, ended up using assist levels 2 & 3 of 4 possible for a fair bit of the ride. Just 20 miles and it was flashing empty. Just goes to show the effect of headwinds and cool temperatures.

Advertisers