Battery and charge connectors for case

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on waterproof connectors suitable for mounting into a hard battery case. I am planning on building an epoxy composite case to hold the battery and need to mount a connector to the surface of the case for ease of use when moving the battery on/off the bike. I'm looking for a surface mount (i.e. female connector on the case with a dust cap). Can anyone recommend a suitable fitting? All I've found is Andersons and XT60 / XT90 connectors which aren't really suitable for surface mounting. Has anyone out there been there done that and can point me in the right direction?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Hi Kirstin, it's for both, so high current capability needed :) thanks both for the posts. I haven't seen surface mount before. Do you know of other formats that could work? I've had XT plugs deform and crack in the past so I'm on the lookout for something a bit more durable to fit into the case. Any thoughts? Perhaps metal connectors? I've seena lot but nothing that will handle the power needed!

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
I'm going to try to revive this a little as I think connectors and wiring are one of the hardest things to do well in a DIY eBike.

I've started to refine what I'm looking for...
Up to 50A DC, Waterproof (Sealed), Female panel mount,and over 500 mating cycles min.

The choice of connectors seems remarkably thin on the ground. Plenty of products from China with no standards or electrical specifications provided! The xt60 and xt90 are great in their way but not sufficiently robust to be built into a case.

Here's an example from BMS Battery. Typically thin on the specifications but at £9 plus £37 postage I'm still looking !

Any thoughts anyone? I'm also interested in hearing about high current switches too... :)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Surely any panel mounted connector can be easily replaced if wear or damage occurs. If you have had problems in the past with xt60/90's they may have been fake, lots around. Good luck with your search, let us know what you find.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hmm, well can't disagree with your own experience but I belive xt60 or 90 to be far superior to those repurposed microphone sockets. I had those on my first battery nearly a decade ago.

Plus many mainstream sellers use standatd sockets without issue.

If I'm honest I can't help but hold the view you seem to be overthinking/over focusing a pretty simple matter. And one that many thousands of users dont have

I'd all but gaurantee your first major issue with your bike in actual use won't be the connector

Please dont take offence. Just trying to help

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Don't add a high current switch. Instead, use the BMS to switch off the battery. That means buy a BMS that has a switch header on it, and if your BMS is already installed without a switch, add your own on the 12V gate to the discharge mosfets. Cheap and simple!

Reactions: Paradad

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
I belive xt60 or 90 to be far superior to those repurposed microphone sockets. I had those on my first battery nearly a decade ago.
Good information, thank you! I think that's part of the problem - a lot of the DIY e'bike connectors are not really heavy duty DC conectors at all. I take it the old DIN connectors weren't up to the job?
So anyway, a bit of context , the wider problem I'm trying to solve is I have a very nice bike that is getting wrecked by hanging a large battery from velcro straps on the frame. That will be okay for short occasional use but I use it daily for 50mile round trips including a few miles along rock and loose rock. The battery bouncing around on its straps is trashing the frame finish. I've decided to take the bike out of action while I figure out how to mount the battery and redo the wiring. I plan to build a composite lift on/off lockable case. That's why the connector needs to be up to the mark.
So far as the XT connectors are concerned - they're great for what they do and definitely (IMO) the best of what I've seen so far, but still a long way from "job done".
Anyway, no offence taken. :) I may eventually abandon the search and go with the XT connectors, but not until I've had a good look at this from a few angles. There are things out there, at a price (check out mouser.co.uk, molex and rs-online), so I'm not giving up yet! Ideas / thoughts / experience on connectors still welcome please!

Reactions: KirstinS

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Surely any panel mounted connector can be easily replaced if wear or damage occurs. If you have had problems in the past with xt60/90's they may have been fake, lots around. Good luck with your search, let us know what you find.
Yes, fair point. I've only bought them twice - one set was definitley much better quality than the others...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I plugged and unplugged an XT60 for over 4,000 km. You are right they are not waterproof, the one on the controller is now welded to the extension cable one because it is exposed to spray, I will replace them one of these days. Moving to higher voltage also encouraged me to invest in anti-spark XT90s for peace of mind, 33% more voltage = 33% more spark.

Hobby King sell genuine XT, I usually grab a selection when I order something bigger from them.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hobby King sell genuine XT, I usually grab a selection when I order something bigger from them.
Agree on this totally. I've been burned with rubbish fakes from ebay, a few moments touch with a soldering iron to the metal pins and the plastic melted!

I buy from HK too now

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks both - I'll take a look. That's the problem these days - so much stuff looks okay on the screen but the reality is all too often really poor straight to landfill..!

DrugiLue

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2021
Hi...a standard power connector for 110/120v to control quite a few normal machines, from printers to PCs, chargers, and advertisement infinitem.

Another is a XT60 connector - additionally exceptionally normal and standard. Google XT60 connector, or your nearby interest shop will have the two closures or combines in stock. Pleat connectors are acceptable, you can even get ones with recoil wrap tube, across the board, to make a water-tight association.

Any neighborhood hardware supply will have this stuff as well.

Advertisers