Battery and charger

gullarm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2014
I'm trying to buy a battery for my ebike kit, I'm currently running a 250/350w front hub motor off 6 x 12V 2.8ah SLA battery's. So 36v 5.6ah. Needless to say its a bit of a dullard.

I haven't been any were yet, just up and down the road. My normal commute is 5.2 miles - 10.4 return. Up and down the road Feels slow to be honest! Is this because it's limited by the max current output of the batts?

I have a pretty much unlimited supply of these batts but the weight is proving too much, I'm carrying the 6 in a backpack. Maybe a rack and more batts?

I'm struggling to buy a decent battery pack can anyone point me in the right direction, £200 quid is my limit really.

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
I bought a pair of 5s (18 volt) 4000mAh Zippy packs from HobbyKing last week. Approx £50 for the 2 packs giving 36 volts and aAh.

From reading info on here and elsewhere it seems the 4Ah wont be far below the 3 x 12v 10Ah SLA batteries currently fitted. Seems you only get approx half the rated capacity from the SLA's.

Currently the 3 SLA's weigh approx 12kg, Where the Zippy packs weigh under 1 kg.
I plan to add 2 more packs if the bike turns out to be good. Even then the weight will be 1/3rd of the SLA's yet with a usable 12Ah

Cant wait to start putting it all back together but i dont want to rush it.

gullarm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2014
BMS battery's seem pretty good but the postage is high and the possible dreaded import tax and nice post office fee puts me off a bit.

The idea of building my own pack is appealing but how would you charge up 2 or even 4 lipos at the same time? Would you need to charge each pack on its on which is a pain,I just want to plug it in, turn it on then walk away. Can you bulk charge them as you would a normal battery.

This is all so confusing.

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
With the 5s packs i plan to charge one at a time or get another charger and use one for each.

You can charge the whole lot in one go with a suitable charger, Plenty of scooter chargers that are suitable for lithium batteries.

Advertisers