battery and charger

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
A guy as brought his electric folding bike into my workshop, the lithium battery is 24v but I checked his charger with my meter and reading as says on the charger 42v
The guy says he has been using the charger which came with the bike for 2 years
Is it best to get the correct 24v output charger

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Safety wise yes, he is soley relying on the BMS to stop the cells over charging, possibly shorting and catching fire. The guy isn't worried too much about his safety or others who may live with him.

Most incidents with battery fires is down to mis use and charging is the biggest risk.

You are correct in your reasoning to qestion his technique.

Last edited:

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Thanks and that is a great reply, It will be passed on to my client.
I did point out to him by email telling to be careful the risk of fire when he sent an email attachment photo of his battery all striped down.
thanks again

Ron

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm quite surprised that the 24v bike was a supplied with a 42v charger and is a very risky thing to do.
We hear of a few battery fires and a lot appear to occur during the charge stage and likely over charging or extended periods left on charge.
His BMS only has to suffer a fault on the charge side and the battery possibly could go as high as 6v for a 4.2v cell will be a dangerous occurrence should it happen.

Last edited:

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Good reply thanks, I have pointed this out to the guy, He bought the bike second hand off ebay,

thanks Ron

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe stolen so no charger; and the seller just added the cheapest charger he could find to hide the issue.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Good thinking but don’t think so, I get idiots on facebook asking to send a postman to collect a bike and pay cash.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lithium cells have 4.2v max charge with some BMS having a 4.25v/4.3 v release voltage should a fault occur any higher then a cell is well beyond it's capability.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
They should make the charger connection in a way that it couldn’t be used
Think about it.

Different voltages.
Different battery chemistries.
Different 'best' charge currents.

Someone would need to develop a standard, for the all the different types, then apply and enforce it as a Worldwide standard.

I would suggest that the chances of that happenning are close to or even below zero.

Although suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcome.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
A guy as brought his electric folding bike into my workshop, the lithium battery is 24v but I checked his charger with my meter and reading as says on the charger 42v
The guy says he has been using the charger which came with the bike for 2 years
Is it best to get the correct 24v output charger
I am going to be discordant ... If you measure the Charger voltage off load , and without any load attached, you can basically read anything .. so 42V is not unlikely... You need to have some type of load on it ... Even a 200 ohm resistor would suit ..or a domestic incandescent light bulb. or Two car bulbs in series.. basically something that draws a current. Now a 24V lithium battery pack is more like 29v fully charged , and a charger will be outputting 36v into that load ,to give a 3 to 4 Amp charging current. .
Finally depending on the age of the bike, it might bea pre Lithium battery pack .. Ni Mh was popular, which will take a lot more abuse.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Think about it.

Different voltages.
Different battery chemistries.
Different 'best' charge currents.

Someone would need to develop a standard, for the all the different types, then apply and enforce it as a Worldwide standard.

I would suggest that the chances of that happenning are close to or even below zero.

Although suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcome.
The premium brands go out of their way to ensure you only use their designed kit .. eg Bosch

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Hi I have a question for you, new lithium batteries on the shelf waiting to be fitted and perhaps 80% charged what sort life are the batteries are good
for and are they still as good if they are in stock for say over 12 months
thank you
Ron

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi I have a question for you, new lithium batteries on the shelf waiting to be fitted and perhaps 80% charged what sort life are the batteries are good
for and are they still as good if they are in stock for say over 12 months
thank you
Ron
There is a small decline in capacity over time, but much smaller than the decline due to use. 12 months sitting on a shelf in a medium state of charge is unlikely to make a noticeable difference. Sitting flat would be a different story.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
There always a problem that we never know how long the battery suppliers
have had the batteries in stock, we can easily end up with a battery 18 months old before its fitted onto a bike

Thanks Ron

Advertisers