battery charger trouble

chris j

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2014
Hi
still putting my bike together and now my battery has arrived I started to charge it, left it on for over 6 houres
and tried it on my bike I got a warning of a flashing battery on my apm display so looked at the charger the lights are on one red and one green so it is telling me the battery is charged but when charging the charger is not making a noise at all and the fan is not on so im thinking its broke but how can I tell for sure.
Bellow is a link to the same charger I found on a other post.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59549

D

Deleted member 4366

It might help if you tell us which battery it is. If it's a Ping battery, did you plug in the BMS connector?

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to check the battery voltage with a meter. Did you check that you have the right polarity on your charger. Note that the colours on the charger wires ae most likely reversed from normal. Brown negative and blue positive, but check with a meter to be sure. If you connected with reverse polarity, you've probably blown the fuse at the charger output.

chris j

Dec 9, 2014
I did replace the chargers connecter to the battery so it matched the one on my controller so thay were all the same, so I did wire it up as live to live and negative to negative so I could have blown the fuse so I will try to replace the fuse and try again will post and let you know what happens and thanks for your advice.

D

Deleted member 4366

Make sure you check both the battery and the charger polarity with a meter. You also need to check the battery voltage with the meter.

chris j

Dec 9, 2014
Hi I am out of my depth with all this and don't think the charger is any good know as the fuse was fixed in and the connecters broke when I tried to change it so will need to get another charger can you recommend a charger that will do for my battery and also a voltage meter also could you point me to some internet site that can show me how to check the polarity

chris

chris j

Dec 9, 2014
tried to mend my charger but had no luck so now I have a new one before I connect the wires I want to be sure I get it right and this part is just the battery to the charger. The charger wires are brown wire(red connecter) and blue wire ( black connecter) this is how it came. I don't have my multimeter yet its on its way so still don't know if the red wire is the live wire or not iv taken some pics bellow should I wait for the meter to come so I can make sure wich wire is the live or can you work it out for me from the pictures thanks.

chris

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Do not connect it until you've checked the polarity with a meter. You have been warned!

chris j

Dec 9, 2014
ok I will wait, when it comes and I make sure which wire is live and say it is the red connector do I then connect this one to the red on the battery am I getting this right in my head thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

You should check both to be sure, as it doesn't take any effort or time, though I've never known the battery to be wrong. Many chargers that I checked had blue positive and brown negative.

chris j

Dec 9, 2014
Hi all just to keep you up to date got my battery sorted and new charger both working but when wire up to my controller and my controller is wired up to the motor and throttle and brakes nothing works at all I do get a display on my apm but for some reason even that is not working right as when I turn my controller of then on again it resets its self to factory settings and the battery info I have put in to it is lost I have phoned cryistalite but cant get any help from them don't know what to do now I have spent money on all this gear and I cant do anything with it can any one help.

chris

some pics of the stuff im using

Attachments

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Your last photo is showing a low voltage error on the display screen as described in the manual:

http://www.crystalyte.com/APMDisplay_Owners_Manual_V2.pdf

I believe your problem is that you have a 72V controller with a 55V low voltage cut out level but you only have a 48V battery (only 54V fully charged) so the controller is switching off because of low voltage.

You need a 72V battery for this system to work or:

You need one of the two 36V/48V controllers shown here to work with your existing 48V battery:

http://www.crystalyte.com/Crystalyte motor related part.htm

Advertisers