Battery Connectors

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Morning All,

I'm going to build a battery pack, similar to one built by Kinninvie., using a couple of Hobbyking Lipo packs.

The 6s 10Ah and above packs are out of stock at the moment so I thought that I would build my reserve pack first (as the 6s 5.2Ah packs are in stock).

The 5.2Ah pack uses an XT60 connector. The 10Ah pack uses an XT90 connector. What are peoples thoughts with respect to these connectors? Are both safe to use with my BBS02?

What about using something like an EC5 as an alternative?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I like HXT but they are a pain to solder and assemble compared to XT60/90, there is a knack to it if you go that way I will post my procedure.
The reason I prefer them is that the wire to plug area is vastly better insulated plus they have a larger contact area.
I find with XT60 the wire can become exposed due to contant usage causing the heat shrink to move, but they are quick and easy to solder.

Just my 2 cents worth

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Geebee,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll check them out.

D

Deleted member 4366

Normally, the connectors on them are over-specified because they have no idea what current they will be asked to give, so they have to cover the maximum. 25C 5Ah packs would therefore be 125A, which is five times the maximum you'll use.

The easiest connectors are Deans. They can carry enough current and are easy to solder and handle. They're my favourite connector for battery connections.

With Deans, you have to follow the convention of female connectors on the battery side, and when soldering to lipos, never have both wires exposed at the same time. Solder one and insulate it before dealing with the other one.

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi d8veh,

Thanks for the response.

I need to order up connectors now as my cells etc have been ordered.

I'm looking forward to getting the bike powered up.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I use XT90s on mine because thats whats on the batteries and if they have a problem the warranty will still be valid.
The connectors on the motor/controller wires are just 4mm crimped bullet connectors and are cold to the touch even after a hard pull up a 1 in 5 hill so I am happy with them.
If I need to use my Headway pack(which has 60A Andersons on) its simply a matter of taking the wires off at the bullets and putting the Anderson wires on.

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Kinninvie,

Sounds sensible. I ordered 5.2Ah 6s packs to start with as they were in stock and I'm impatient. They come with XT60s so I could make up an XT60 to XT90 I suppose. The 5.2 will be my reserve pack, other than my legs.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Warranty on lipos????
Yes,Guaranteed against manufacturing defects as long as you remember to log the numbers on the warranty sticker onto the Hobbyking website within 24 hours of delivery!!!!

Advertisers