Battery deconstruction.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have a block of 18650's that were returned to me after my last recell. They are just sitting on a shelf as there's nowhere local that will accept them for recycle. I've even tried enquiring with distant companies but transport becomes an issue. So I'm stuck with this thing.
I'd like to use a few cells in a 4 cell powerbank that I use for a front light or satnav on the bike.
The cell straps each have 4 dot welds. Is there a way to get them off without destroying the cell cap or worse?
I'm an electrician and well aware of the potential for mishap here. That's why I'm asking.

Reactions: D C

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Even tesco take batteries here in the UK, all, drill, screwdriver, lawnmower so that is totally wrong, put it in the tesco battery recycling.

Just put two old drill batteries and a lawnmower battery, NOTHING says no type of battery refused just deposit it.

Did you do ANY research https://recycling.co.uk/recycling-batteries/ is just one site

And just one call to Ceredigion and Carmarthen Councils, told me they take them at their sites !!!!!!!!!!!

I live in wales.

These took me 30 seconds

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I took an old 36v battery down to my local council recycling centre last week and put it in the battery bin and they were fine with that.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I've even tried enquiring with distant companies but transport becomes an issue. So I'm stuck with this thing.
Take it to your Council tidy-tip/refuse collection point - they have the proper facilities for disposing of them properly. I don't know of any Council that won't accept them; they've taken everything from AA cells, through old Ni-Mh and Li-Ion tool batteries, and even a few old car/leisure batteries from me over the years.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Any local tip should have a bin for batteries. It seems a bit dangerous to me, so probably a good idea to discharge them if you can.

If you want to disassemble the cells for powerbanks, use thin nosed pliers and roll the welded strips off. They come off pretty easy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can clean off any sharp bits of nickel left on with a dremmel type tool.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Wow, thanks for the rage links Saracen. I have e-mailed Greenlance and got no reply.
The charge for a one off pick up from greenit was prohibitve. I will try eco-recycle but it looks like they are set up to deal with bussinesses not one offs.
Ceredigion may well say on the phone that sites accept batteries - cos they do, but that is yer standard AA etc and car batteries. My pink brick was refused on site.
Hence my starting the thread.
I will try peeling the welds off. If I can get it to individual cells then I think it will be accepted.
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Take it to your Council tidy-tip/refuse collection point
Maybe in OP's area 'refuse collection point' means they refuse to take collection.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Finally got my roundtuit out and started stripping the cells apart. Peeling off the nickel strips is leaving little raised bumps which I'm knocking down with gentle taps from a flat punch. They are Samsung SD1's and are coming out with a respectable 3.9v on them. This after around 3 years on the shelf - I should point out that the bms was removed during the recell.
So started charging them with a view to using 4 of them in a power block to run our satnav in a week or so. Hoping to get them to 4.1v, we'll see.

Advertisers