Battery only charging partially

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
So I do actually have a controller for 48V. But how much would I need to swap out on the bike? Display I’m guessing. Anything else? Pedal sensor? I hope not the break sensors. Also the connectors seem mostly different, but I guess if there’s a will there’s a way53254

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need brake sensors with the KT controller as they don't experience the run on that crappier one's do, I assume you aren't using a throttle.

The only thing you need is a KT compatible display from the KT LCD range and a pas to work. I like the BZ10C pas but it depends on the BB in use other wise just wire the existing PAS up in sequence.

Your KT controller PAS wiring will be Brown/ 5v, Black /Gnd & Yellow /Sig (And I can just make out the PAS wire colours).
Your PAS wiring is likely Red/5v, Black Gnd and a third random colour for Sig just join them up so 5v / Gnd & Sig match the sequence to be correct.

The only other thing to watch out for is the LVC will be wrong for the 52v battery , you will have to be careful and not cycle it lower then 44v . KT LCD's have a voltage readout so you can use it as a reference as the battery meter will read wrong.

The controller capacitors will be 60v so they can handle the 58.8v max charge of the 14s battery.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If your hub is 9 pin then it will connect to your controller if you have the 9 pin connectting cable with the 3 bullets and the dj7061 6 way hall connector on the other end. If you don't have that cable they are available to buy seperately.

This is the cable on TBK but you should be able to get via ebay store or AliExp.
9Pins Ebike Motor Cable With Hall Connector cable,motor cable,motor cable with hall connector,ebike motor cable,Ebike motor cable with hall connector [Motor Cable] - $4.85 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce (topbikekit.com)

68cm E-bike Motor Cable Julet 9Pin Female Adapter Extension Wire W/ Connecter UK | eBay

The wire must have that white 6 pin out DJ7061 connector with it.

Last edited:

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
This is getting a bit complicated for me now as I was fearing. I would like to use as much as possible from the wisper bike: the PAS, the throttle (only for pushing the bike), the break sensors (if needed), the lights etc. I understand I cannot use the display. I do have a KT-compatible one that I can install. The cables and connectors will be a headache. But I’ll attempt this. I think the battery is 48v but when I measured the voltage it was 52…

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
ideally of course I would use everything as is with the old controller and the new battery, but this I guess is bound to fry the controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 48v battery will charge to 54.6v when full as the 48v is just the nomnal battery voltage , nominal voltage is approx. 50% of it's power. Same as a 36v battery it will charge to 42v when full , 36v is just the 50% nomnal figure.

I was assuming you had a 14s /52v battery from a previous reply as you didn't refer to it as a 48v battery, but sounds like it is a 48v nominal battery and will be fine with the KT controller.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The KT controller & KT lcd are no issue, your existing wiring may or may not have the same connectors and wire sequence. So you may have to change some wires for the correct sequence or simply buy a few KT wired bits to simply be plug and play.
If the wisper connectors don't match simply solder the wires together and heatshink over the joints to insulate against shorting.

If unsure of which wire sequence will need to go to which with the KT controller just show us a pic and we will marry up the correct sequence for you.

Generally though Red is 5v though Brown can be used, if non are present then Blue.
Black is Gnd except when not used Yellow is the main substitute colour, Green will be used if non are present but this is rare.
Sig is any other colour outside of these , Sig though can be Yellow, Blue, Green if not used in the above scenarios.
Although it sounds confusing with experience one can quite easily sort out the sequences given the opposing wires to be matched.

I can only think of one instance when in the very past things got a bit silly , some guy had a controller and all the outputs were the same three colours. Easily sorted with a meter to suss out the polarity contacts between Gnd & 5v.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is getting a bit complicated for me now as I was fearing. I would like to use as much as possible from the wisper bike: the PAS, the throttle (only for pushing the bike), the break sensors (if needed), the lights etc. I understand I cannot use the display. I do have a KT-compatible one that I can install. The cables and connectors will be a headache. But I’ll attempt this. I think the battery is 48v but when I measured the voltage it was 52…
It's a 48v battery. The charger for a 48v battery should say 54.6v. That will work directly with your KT controller. The motor doesn't care about voltage. If you have a normal PAS it'll work with your controller and so will any throttle. All you need to do is wire things up in the correct sequence, and you'll be back in business.

Advertisers