Battery pack issues

D

Deleted member 4366

The BMS is passive. it doesn't have any effect on the controller or LCD. There're are only two wires connected to the battery and no RF.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The handlebar led or lcd takes power and commands via the controller. The battery BMS only deals with cell charge and discharge, the only connection to any other part of the bike are the two supply feeds to the controller.

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
The BMS is passive. it doesn't have any effect on the controller or LCD. There're are only two wires connected to the battery and no RF.
The handlebar led or lcd takes power and commands via the controller. The battery BMS only deals with cell charge and discharge, the only connection to any other part of the bike are the two supply feeds to the controller.
Many thanks chaps that's really encouraging news. Have gone ahead and ordered ann bms and wire/ connectors/ heatshrink etc

It's going to be a good few weeks until arrival so was wondering if I can temporary bypass the bms by moving the charging connection at CH- to B- ?

DSC_3451.JPG

Appreciate this will mean that will put the cells at risk as no longer balanced but I would like to continue light use of the bike if possible . Intend to manually charge (supervised) up to no more than say 40V compared to the usual 42V maximum of the pack. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Without a BMS the cells will be okay though you will have to probably manually balance each parallel string which is time consuming as they won't charge/discharge equally.
You will probably need to charge via each balance wire at the jst which isn't practical.
Some demean the operation of the BMS but in reality it does a fantastic job.

Today a fuse blew on my Lipo's in line fuse and in my 3 and quarter year old dolphin battery, I had to open the dolphin as the fuse holders fixings have broken loose. Whilst open I checked the 29E cells and all were spot on with discharge all reading 34.3v.

Ann/power are usually quite quick with delivery, AFAICR 7 -14 days one item I ordered arrived in 4 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamx

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Without a BMS the cells will be okay though you will have to probably manually balance each parallel string which is time consuming as they won't charge/discharge equally.
You will probably need to charge via each balance wire at the jst which isn't practical.
Some demean the operation of the BMS but in reality it does a fantastic job.

Today a fuse blew on my Lipo's in line fuse and in my 3 and quarter year old dolphin battery, I had to open the dolphin as the fuse holders fixings have broken loose. Whilst open I checked the 29E cells and all were spot on with discharge all reading 34.3v.

Ann/power are usually quite quick with delivery, AFAICR 7 -14 days one item I ordered arrived in 4 days.
Have now temporary bypassed the BMS and charaged up to 40 V........ though have run into some new issues.

Unfortunate noticed after re-assembling the 3 boards without balance cable & disconecting C- lost all pack output. Was only able to restore output by re-assembling boards in a particular order but not without continual losses upon assembly. Sometimes just touching a screw during aseembly would equate to loss of output. cell output was fine throughout...pack output was issue.

Note: as well as the 7 pins on the bms board (B,-B+, P-, Chg, C-,RSS? DHG?) 2 of the 4 brass corner riser posts also act as connection between the other boards possibly for B- B+

Pack is now charged to 40v and working on the bike...will monitor under normal use though won't be surprised if I lose pack output after the issues I have experienced.

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Impressive mine just arrived 7 days really nice piece of kit and attention to detail.

As prev advised am going to extend balance cable jack to outside of case due to lack of internal space to place bms

Noob Question: I note the purpose of the battery negative B- Wire from the BMS in the diagram but what is the purpose of connecting the B1- wire of the 11 balance wires? (see red arrow) Is it necessary to connect up?HTB1_iDfQVXXXXcGaXXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes it needs to be connected, BMS balance needs too see/read a 0v/ground.
Some BMS's balance use the additional B1- balance wire black and others use the B- as a common ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamx

Advertisers