Battery Power Supply Help Colored Wires

Bobbo1260

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 18, 2023
Taking a step back, what do you mean by a 12v controller and what do you want to do with it?
Sorry I should have explained that I want to connect a dc 12v convertor to run 12v indicators powered by the battery connections in the solid state controller.
perhaps there is another place I can pick up a 36 volt supply within the wiring harnesses.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sorry I should have explained that I want to connect a dc 12v convertor to run 12v indicators powered by the battery connections in the solid state controller.
perhaps there is another place I can pick up a 36 volt supply within the wiring harnesses.
Do you have the controller integrated into the battery base thing? If so, your best way would be to solder the wires to the inside of the pins with the two wires that go to the controller pcb. The heat won't do any harm to the other things.

Another thing you can do is run the indicators direct from their own rechargeable 12v battery. One of these or a 3S lipo:

Bobbo1260

Oct 18, 2023
Do you have the controller integrated into the battery base thing? If so, your best way would be to solder the wires to the inside of the pins with the two wires that go to the controller pcb. The heat won't do any harm to the other things.

Another thing you can do is run the indicators direct from their own rechargeable 12v battery. One of these or a 3S lipo:
This the solid state controller where the two outer steel pins are the positive and negative, conveniently identified on the casing. There is just enough room to route the two wires out of the controller to the triangular bag included with the kit where I can place the dc convertor.
I did consider using a 2.1 amp house alarm battery but suspect that as the voltage in the battery reduces the indicator flash rate would change but if using led indicators would the load be that great as on a ride they only going to be on for a few seconds at a time.
With a dc convertor the 12v would be constant. Thinking about it I suppose the best bet is to go with the separate battery idea and if there is voltage depletion issue then go for the dc controller option.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Only the outer two pins are connected in the controller. Very occasionally, the two outer pins on each side of the battery are bridged so that it has two positives and two negatives. The idea is to reduce the current on each pin when you match that on the controller. It's worth checking your battery to see if yours is like that, in which case you could wire something to the next to outside pins on the controller connector.

Also, it looks like you have some fairly meaty red and black wires running down the length of the controller. That's probably a branch off the battery wires for the LCD. You could scrape a bit of insulation off to check with a voltmeter then splice your wires there.

I still think that a separate 12v power-packed would be a better solution.

Bobbo1260

Oct 18, 2023
Think you might be right. I will assemble the indicator set up on my trike and try it with a 2.1 amp alarm battery as it the will fit in the triangular bag that was supplied plus I have a charger for it. If that’s not man enough I can go for some thing bigger.
You might be wondering why I want indicators.
Going round a bend on a trike means you have to lean into the bend and if a slight incline is involved you must have two hands on the handle bars to counteract the tendency to be pulled down the incline.
The last thing you want to doing is giving hand signals.

Bobbo1260

Oct 18, 2023
Think you might be right. I will assemble the indicator set up on my trike and try it with a 2.1 amp alarm battery as it the will fit in the triangular bag that was supplied plus I have a charger for it. If that’s not man enough I can go for some thing bigger.
You might be wondering why I want indicators.
Going round a bend on a trike means you have to lean into the bend and if a slight incline is involved you must have two hands on the handle bars to counteract the tendency to be pulled down the incline.
The last thing you want to doing is giving hand signals.
I have taken a leap of faith and ordered 2 x 2.1 amp batteries as they will fit in the e-bike bag. If one goes flat I can use the other or use them both in parallel to give me 4.2 amp.

Advertisers