battery recommendations

ebike tal

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2020
hey, looking to buy an ebike battery, 1000w 48v and at least 17ah, it can be without a case and not a well known brand
attach a link if you can
thanks!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
What do you mean 1000w?
I'm guessing you have a large '1000w watt' direct drive motor?
Cheap large batteries are available and are usually rubbish - even dangerous.
You get what you pay for. If it has unspecified/unbranded cells it will disappoint and will not deliver the current needed for those types of power hungry, inefficient motors.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
the cheaper the better
As you are looking for a bargain you have prob. spotted these. PLEASE DO NOT BUY, they are not suitable for your use.
Contact https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/ who will build you a good safe battery pack.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not all batteries are born equal. There are important parameters that you need to consider. You start by looking at the label on your motor controller to see what the maximum amps are that it will deliver, then you need to add at least 5 amps to it for headroom, so for a 25 amp controller, you need a battery that can provide 30 amps continuous. Look at the battery listing to see what they say is the continuous current. Make sure you're looking at the maximum continuous current and not the maximum current.

If you under-specify the battery, it won't last 5 minutes, and you'll soon be in the position of needing to buy another one.

ebike tal

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Not all batteries are born equal. There are important parameters that you need to consider. You start by looking at the label on your motor controller to see what the maximum amps are that it will deliver, then you need to add at least 5 amps to it for headroom, so for a 25 amp controller, you need a battery that can provide 30 amps continuous. Look at the battery listing to see what they say is the continuous current. Make sure you're looking at the maximum continuous current and not the maximum current.

If you under-specify the battery, it won't last 5 minutes, and you'll soon be in the position of needing to buy another one.
thanks
are you sure i need the battery to be more amps than the controller, for example i got an 30 amp controller, will a 20amp battery will be fine?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Please be aware that the current draw in amps is different to the battery capacity measured in AmpHours. The first parameter determines if the battery can supply the controller / motor the current it requires, the second how long it can supply that power for.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
are you sure i need the battery to be more amps than the controller, for example i got an 30 amp controller, will a 20amp battery will be fine?
The continuous current is normally limited by the BMS, so a 48v 17Ah battery is fine, but the BMS needs to be able to supply a minimum 30amps continuous ideally 35amps to match or exceed the max. draw from your controller. This info is often missing from the ads of cheap batteries, so asking the seller for the spec of the BMS along with the brand and model of the cells inside the pack is a good indication of whether the seller knows what they are selling, which may do not.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm very sure. You need a battery that can give 35 amps continuous or more.
and don't forget what Jonah said above: do NOT confuse a battery that can deliver 35 amps with a battery with capacity 35Ah.