battery recovery?

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
A question for a lithium battery guru. Some time ago earlier in the year I replaced my 36V Li-ion battery (Chinese INR18650 bank) which had developed a fault and had dropped the charged voltage). (Carefully) dismantling the battery I established that one of the 4 cell banks was dead. Having disconnected that bank and the BMS, I left it on the shelf until now. With the actual cycling curtailed at the moment I have stripped the cells from the 'dead' battery and recovered 6 banks of 4 cells which are well matched (all around 4.1V) and can probably be recharged using some individual cell charging units I have available. I am wondering about the remaining 4 banks of 4 cells which are showing low voltages. I guess the set around 0.16V are really dead but I wonder if it is worth (or safe) to try recharging those around 1.6V? My thinking with the 'good' ones after recharging is to make up 3S4P 12v sets (using parts of the original plastic cell former) for use with a small (100W max) 12/240V inverter I possess. Thanks Peter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Personally I wouldn't bother , one would expect them to have a very high internal resistance and actual mah available will be poor and they will sag under load heavily.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Advertisers