Battery unused for 2 years is now completely dead

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi folks
Long time no speak. The last two hellish years and accompanying life changing events led to me not using my brand new electric bike...at all. I kept an eye on my battery for a while then forgot about it. Now, returning to the road, I find my Bosch 500 Lithium Ion is completely dead with no lights showing. It's been on charge for 8 hrs but still no sign of life. Have I killed what was a very healthy and relatively unused battery?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the batts have a small onboard bms that uses power from the batt so it can keep the can bus programming so not using it for 2 years means the cells have drained flat and bricked the bms.

a company in Germany can recell these packs but with postage and duty it is cheaper just to buy a new bosch batt.

or there is a 3rd party that makes them but never had no luck when i tried to buy one as no postage to the uk and costs more than a bosch batt.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
the batts have a small onboard bms that uses power from the batt so it can keep the can bus programming so not using it for 2 years means the cells have drained flat and bricked the bms.

a company in Germany can recell these packs but with postage and duty it is cheaper just to buy a new bosch batt.

or there is a 3rd party that makes them but never had no luck when i tried to buy one as no postage to the uk and costs more than a bosch batt.

Thank you... That was my fear.. What about freezing the battery ... urban myth?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is the bms you might be able to salvage the cells but thats about it as bosch do not sell the bms and even if you got one from a working batt as soon as you cut power to it it bricks the bms as why no one will recell them.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi folks
Long time no speak. The last two hellish years and accompanying life changing events led to me not using my brand new electric bike...at all. I kept an eye on my battery for a while then forgot about it. Now, returning to the road, I find my Bosch 500 Lithium Ion is completely dead with no lights showing. It's been on charge for 8 hrs but still no sign of life. Have I killed what was a very healthy and relatively unused battery?
I bought a secondhand spare Shimano battery off ebay for half the new price, and it turned out to be good as new. There are a number of Bosch batteries listed right now, which may be a solution.

Reactions: musicbooks

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I spoke to my bike shop and there is a possibility Bosch might replace as a goodwill gesture due to lack of use and its management system turning perfectly good cells into a brick. But the shop will have to run it though a few tests first to confirm I qualify.

Reactions: matthewslack

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I spoke to my bike shop and there is a possibility Bosch might replace as a goodwill gesture due to lack of use and its management system turning perfectly good cells into a brick. But the shop will have to run it though a few tests first to confirm I qualify.
That sounds partially promising.

Advertisers