Battery upgrade for Cycloctricty Stealth 1000w

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would say not as much as that, may be 5 more minutes.
Select assist mode 0, that will let you use the bike in throttle mode. That mode will let the throttle push the bike efficiently to 16mph legally. Then your legs can hit much higher speed as the road allows without the motor drag while remaining totally legal.
Most commuters who bought the Karoo reported about 75 miles with the13AH battery, no need to buy the 15AH.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I would say not as much as that, may be 5 more minutes.
Select assist mode 0, that will let you use the bike in throttle mode. That mode will let the throttle push the bike efficiently to 16mph legally. Then your legs can hit much higher speed as the road allows without the motor drag while remaining totally legal.
Most commuters who bought the Karoo reported about 75 miles with the13AH battery, no need to buy the 15AH.
Ok, thanks for the info. Might be something for me to consider at next C2W scheme in a few months.

I think the problem i have is finding one that can also stand up to the route I do. Others have commented greatly in the past that its quite a punishing route for the bike.
Bumpy canal towpaths, muddy trails, and potholed roads....so quite a mixture ;)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
nothing a good suspension seat post and a nice pair of Ergon grips can't fix.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some rated battery capacities must be nominal, as in you can't use all the watt hours stamped on the label.

However, I did London to Brighton at an average 16.5mph for 45-odd miles on one and a half/threequarters Bosch 400wh batteries.

This suggests about 15wh a mile, which sounds about right.

The pace was a gnat's chuff away from what Andy does, I weigh more than he does, and while the route only undulates, it does include a couple of decent climbs, including Ditchling Beacon.

All of which suggests to me Andy would get his 30-mile return trip to work at very close to his current speed from a Bosch 500wh battery bike.

Which is very different to his present bike which supposedly has a 576wh battery but will only get him half way.

Is the Bosch system magic and/or am I Superman?

No and definitely not, which suggests some manufacturers are more honest than others when it comes to battery labelling.

Or Andy's battery is faulty, which the experts on here tell me it's not.

The only sensible conclusion is the best bike for Andy's job is a 500wh Bosch one.

Apart from getting him there and back on one charge, it would be most unlikely to suffer from all the typically Chinese breakdowns which he's now had on two Chinese ebikes.

Buying another really would be a triumph of hope over expectation.

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks Rob, that's a very informative post.

Its been a big learning curve for my first 9 months or so in the world of e-bikes, or the first time back on any type bike in anger in over 20 years.

I'm actually on my 4th bike now, the first being a standard bike, which to be honest only lasted a few weeks as there was no way I was goign to stick with it when I looked into ebikes.

The stealth is definitely the most suitable of these for what I need so far, just the range issues.

I've seen loads of bikes linked on the forum that look the dogs gonads, and I'm sure they would be THE best for my needs, but I guess the price of them is there for a reason. Bit out of my range for a while at least, but who knows for the future.

What I do know is, I couldn't go back to commuting in the car on a regular basis now!

What would be nice is if you could trial bikes from dealers before you commit to buy, even the cheapest ones aren't cheap to everyone, and committing yourself to it for a year if going by C2W scheme, it would be nice to know its good for your needs based on experience.

I've learnt that the hard way

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If someone could devise a trial scheme for commuters, Woosh will certainly support it.
Lending demo bikes for a day or low cost a week rental is not a problem for suppliers like ourselves, we can always refund the rental if it leads to a sale.
The transportation cost is prohibitive if the potential customers can't come to us.

RobH

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2016
Cheshire
I also have a 1000w Stealth and I would say that my range experience is similar to Andys. I've had mine for 3 months and haven't used it that much yet so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Andys battery.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Andys battery.
Agreed.
Motor efficiency (the ratio of kinetic energy output / battery energy input) is zero when stalling, then gradually increases with RPM then decreases past the peak back to zero again.
Andy's and RobH's kits have a direct drive motor, they don't have internal gearbox so the yield remains low under 11mph, reaching optimal around 25mph, but then air resistance becomes the dominant factor from 15mph up.
Depending on traffic, if you have a lot of starts/stops, you may see your range reduced substantially. If you have long stretches of empty roads, direct drive motor is a good choice.

This is a typical graph, taken from ES, the green plot is the efficiency, the motor is a Golden 500W DD

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks whoosh...that was really informative.

I was wondering...if I was to turn my stealth power to 250 watts, put it on lowest assist and use the throttle at 16mph without pedalling....would that go 15 miles or is that way off the mark?

I only ask as riding home Thursday into gale force winds, I tried the last couple of miles doing that and it got me home.

Seems I'm putting a lot of effort into getting to work in under an hour but maybe there's a way to do it with a lot less effort but not a lot longer in time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisers