BB Torque System and Battery Upgrade.

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
I have an old Alien Aurora (Alien Ocean) rear hub 350 watt 8Fun motor and kit assembled on my dual suspension MTB. I looking to change the PAS to a BB Torque sensor, plus change the battery from rear mount to a bottle battery on the frame. Can anyone help with advice, best places to purchase. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TS BB's require a specific controller so can't use an ordinary one.
BMSBattery sell TS BB with TS controller and lcd3 as a kit for hubs or you can buy hub kit on Aliexpress and also stand alone replacement controller.
Cost no bad about $100 - $140.

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
TS BB's require a specific controller so can't use an ordinary one.
BMSBattery sell TS BB with TS controller and lcd3 as a kit for hubs or you can buy hub kit on Aliexpress and also stand alone replacement controller.
Cost no bad about $100 - $140.
That's fine, I was looked at the BMS site before and the £88ish doesn't look a bad price. I would like to see some reviews or hear of some experiences using a BB TS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper use a TS system on their torque models ideally you need to be a strong peddler esp on inclines, they give power in proportion to that which you supply so not ideal for everyone. When fitted and system switched on often you have to wait for the 20/30 secs for the TS to calibrate it self otherwise an error will appear.

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
Wisper use a TS system on their torque models ideally you need to be a strong peddler esp on inclines, they give power in proportion to that which you supply so not ideal for everyone. When fitted and system switched on often you have to wait for the 20/30 secs for the TS to calibrate it self otherwise an error will appear.
I've had a quick read on the wisper torque bike range and they combine it with a cadence sensor. I have a carerra crossfire and that uses a torque system, so pedaling is not like that one the bike I'm looking to update, the PAS offers three modes at three set speeds. The bike itself is 20 years old, but dual suspension and an old favourite of mine, so I managed to convert it, but the system is 8fun. Better battery needed as well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BMSB one should be a big improvement, being KT it will have 5 pas levels and the controller can be set for speed control or current control. Using current control gives the user more control over the system.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT = Kuenteng electronics manufacturer.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have you got any advice on where the best place to purchase a Frog Style seat post, you can see the motor in the pictures above.
There are loads on Aliexpress. Some of them have crappy mounting brackets. you won't know until it arrives. I'd put in a much longer seat pin so that it sticks out the bottom of the frame, then you can run a couple of struts up to back of the bracket (5mm side fixing screws) to stop it from bending down whenever you jump off the curb.

Did you get the KT controller?
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-33c0

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It depends what you mean by compatible. It'll work if you wire it up right.

Your motor has a standard cable without a speed sensor, so you'd need to buy an external speed sensor. The controller will have the 9 pin connector, while as your motor and the speed sensor will have block connectors and bullets, so you need to cut off connectors and join wires directly, or cut off the connectors from your old controller and join them to the new one.

You're taking a big risk with that controller. It's quite expensive and you don't know how well the torque sensor works. It won't be like a Bosch. There's nothing wrong with a normal KT controller. Everybody I know that uses one likes it. Wouldn't it be better to get a known liked product than taking a chance on an unknown one? Having said that, somebody has to try one to let us know how good or bad it is.

The controller is only 14 amps, which makes your heavy motor a bit of a waste of space. It won't be very powerful with a low current like that. You should be looking at around 22 amps. I have that same motor in a bike that I run with around 28 amps (22 amp controller with shunt mod). It's a bike that doesn't require pedalling if I don't feel like it, and it makes double the power of the controller in your link.

Advertisers