BBSHD Intermittent Noise

Fatboy17

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2023
Hello,

I recently installed a 52v BBSHD 1000W with a 52v20ah downtube battery on my fat bike. It has only covered about 80km on the odometer. I live in Canada and ride in our cold Canadian winter.

In the morning, I take short 5-10 minute trips to catch the train without any issues, reaching up to 1000W+.

Last week, I rode back from work in a 20km distance during a crazy snowstorm at -12°C. About 30-40 minutes later, my bike started making a noise when I used the throttle or PAS under load. If I lifted my rear wheel, I could use both without any sound coming from the spinning BBSHD. I could spin it to max speed without issues, but when I used 800Watts+ (quick estimation) with me on it, it made a weird whining noise as soon as the motor kicked in.

When I got home, I brought the bike inside and tried to find information online but couldn't find anything useful. About 1 hour later, I took it outside for a quick 5-minute test, and it didn't make the sound anymore. I thought it might have been a one-time issue and used it multiple times for short rides without problems since.

Tonight, I came back from work, and the same thing happened at about -4°C outside. I brought it inside for 45 minutes, and when I went out for a 5-minute test drive, it was okay.

Any idea what this could be? Could it be the cold? Tonight, when it started making the whining sound, I touched the motor, and it was warm to the touch—not really hot but not cold either. Should that exclude the cold from being the cause, or what else could it be?
Thank you !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello,

I recently installed a 52v BBSHD 1000W with a 52v20ah downtube battery on my fat bike. It has only covered about 80km on the odometer. I live in Canada and ride in our cold Canadian winter.

In the morning, I take short 5-10 minute trips to catch the train without any issues, reaching up to 1000W+.

Last week, I rode back from work in a 20km distance during a crazy snowstorm at -12°C. About 30-40 minutes later, my bike started making a noise when I used the throttle or PAS under load. If I lifted my rear wheel, I could use both without any sound coming from the spinning BBSHD. I could spin it to max speed without issues, but when I used 800Watts+ (quick estimation) with me on it, it made a weird whining noise as soon as the motor kicked in.

When I got home, I brought the bike inside and tried to find information online but couldn't find anything useful. About 1 hour later, I took it outside for a quick 5-minute test, and it didn't make the sound anymore. I thought it might have been a one-time issue and used it multiple times for short rides without problems since.

Tonight, I came back from work, and the same thing happened at about -4°C outside. I brought it inside for 45 minutes, and when I went out for a 5-minute test drive, it was okay.

Any idea what this could be? Could it be the cold? Tonight, when it started making the whining sound, I touched the motor, and it was warm to the touch—not really hot but not cold either. Should that exclude the cold from being the cause, or what else could it be?
Thank you !
I would say that it's a motor connector that's not tight enough. You remove the controller to check them. Assuming that you have bullet connectors on the phase wires, make sure they're all inserted all the way. It might be an idea to pull them apart and crimp them down a bit to make them tighter.

While you're there, check that there's no sign of water getting in or a damaged phase wire.

Fatboy17

Dec 14, 2023
I would say that it's a motor connector that's not tight enough. You remove the controller to check them. Assuming that you have bullet connectors on the phase wires, make sure they're all inserted all the way. It might be an idea to pull them apart and crimp them down a bit to make them tighter.

While you're there, check that there's no sign of water getting in or a damaged phase wire.
Thank you very much for the reply, seems like some good information. Why do you think it could be a motor connector ? Has it happened to you in the past ? Thanks again

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you very much for the reply, seems like some good information. Why do you think it could be a motor connector ? Has it happened to you in the past ? Thanks again
It's only happening under load, and it's intermittent. If you have a problem, there has to be a cause. Possible causes are: bad connection to the motor; damaged mosfet. If it were a mosfet, it would be repeatable under any conditions, but it stopped doing it. that's the same as any mechanical issue, like a worn or dry bearing. It can't fix itself. I think you're going to find signs of water in the controller compartment.

Fatboy17

Dec 14, 2023
It's only happening under load, and it's intermittent. If you have a problem, there has to be a cause. Possible causes are: bad connection to the motor; damaged mosfet. If it were a mosfet, it would be repeatable under any conditions, but it stopped doing it. that's the same as any mechanical issue, like a worn or dry bearing. It can't fix itself. I think you're going to find signs of water in the controller compartment.
Sounds good I will check it out. Is it possible for water to get inside the controller compartement even if the gasket seal is new and looks properly installed ? Also the whole where all the cables go into the motor is sealed as well. Yesterday when it started doing this after 30-45 minutes of riding it was completely dry outside. 0 wet snow, water or rain, it was really dry outside. It had been a least a week since I got water on the motor.

If its completely dry inside when I open it, when you say "water damage" What should I look for ? corrosion ?

Thanks again !

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sounds good I will check it out. Is it possible for water to get inside the controller compartement even if the gasket seal is new and looks properly installed ? Also the whole where all the cables go into the motor is sealed as well. Yesterday when it started doing this after 30-45 minutes of riding it was completely dry outside. 0 wet snow, water or rain, it was really dry outside. It had been a least a week since I got water on the motor.

If its completely dry inside when I open it, when you say "water damage" What should I look for ? corrosion ?

Thanks again !
Look at the one in the video above - loads of corrosion in the controller compartment. It looks like salt water has been in there. Open yours, and all will be revealed. We don't need to speculate.

Fatboy17

Dec 14, 2023
Look at the one in the video above - loads of corrosion in the controller compartment. It looks like salt water has been in there. Open yours, and all will be revealed. We don't need to speculate.
The one in the video used an external controller and 3D printed a cover for his controller compartment and ran for it for 10,000km. I installed it less than 1 month ago and have 80km on it, It didnt see how it could already have damage and wanted to know what to look for if it was dry when opened...

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the controllers are potted with that black crap and near impossible to remove but water can still get to the pcb but other than that or worn bearings or gears not much to go wrong with them.

or duff from the factory m8 got one with a non working controller, well it does work just cant change anything with the software!! fkn thing lol.

pm red dragon bikes as will have controllers in stock if that is the problem or any other part you need to sort it out.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
or duff from the factory m8 got one with a non working controller, well it does work just cant change anything with the software!! fkn thing lol.
Have you tried making one parameter change at a time, and only writing one tab at a time rather than all tabs at once? I've read somewhere that tends to work out better. Might not work...

Advertisers