Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
CO2 or lezyne mighty mini morph.

Reactions: weealan

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use 16g or 20g cylinder replacements for larger tyres.

Reactions: weealan

weealan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2019
central Scotland
Use 16g or 20g cylinder replacements for larger tyres.

Cheers for that Nealh

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That sounds scary, hope you can get the bike fixed.
Dave.

Thanks Dave, I replaced the bearing pretty much the next day, and all is good again.

Not wanting to derail the thread, there was a lot more to this failure than is being said. I have been carrying out a reliability test for the last year or so, as I feel that most bearing failures are down to how people clean their bikes. I have spent a year and 3,500miles trying to intentionally destroy the drive unit, but riding in the most abrasive arduous conditions that I could, including plenty of stream bed riding, with absolutely zero cleaning of any sort to the drive unit. I can't speak highly enough of the results, but the poor old bike has taken a hammering. Three sets of headset bearings, three sets of jockey wheel bearings, and one set of jockey wheels. Six sets of brake pads, I only use organic pads, as I'm not a fan of sintered pads. Four chains, and two front sprockets, and the brake discs are far from happy looking. The base of the Reverb seat post also rotted out, but this was an easy fix.
The wheel bearing are still perfect, and had this been a full suspension bike, I hate to think what the cost would have been in replacement bearings and bushes.

My next test is to see how long a drive unit last when it is regularly washed down and cleaned with detergents. I'm reckoning it'll be about 600 miles.

edit... I should add that whilst the bearings were starting to fail at this mileage, the bike didn't sound any louder, and it was only the full submersion of the bike whilst on it's side, that the failure became apparent.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: D C

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
I avoided a huge walk out. 20 years ago I had a huge walk out from here when my tyre wall blew, I initially repaired it with my sock and managed a few miles, but gave up, walked 5 miles to the pub
If someone is truly stuck in the middle of nowhere, the old trick was to stuff the tyre with dead grasses, I've done it on a pushbike - only slightly better than walking.
Should be easier on an ebike.

Related Articles

Advertisers