Been reported for Riding without a license and no insurance

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
On my e-bike on the road. Any references to the law please. My bikes restricted to 15 mph and under 40 kg has manufacturer plate displayed and its in perfect order. even classed as a Tandem it still only 200 watts rated.
Im 39 years off age so well over 14 and well under 99. Any advice ??? cheers

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Post a link to some details about the bike you were riding at the time.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If it’s the bike in the pic on the other thread it’s legal and plod has made a mistake. I knew someone with one of the a few years ago and she was always getting stopped but it was okay when they realised it had pedals and was electric.

He almost certainly thought it was a scooter and then didn’t want to admit he was wrong. If he has written you a ticket get in touch with the station and point out what it is that you’re riding.

Edit. I assume you weren’t riding two up because that would complicate things.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
40kg is no longer relevant. Weight restriction has been lifted, but having two seats does not make it a tandem (needs two sets of pedals). That said, it ok to Cary a passenger as long as the bike is specifically built or modified to do so.

This problem with these moped type bikes is that most traffic cops see it as a scooter, being ridden without a helmet/plates/on cycle path. Asking to be pulled.

I would suggest its a grey area, the sticking point being the pedals. Can you realistically pedal it?

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
If it’s the bike in the pic on the other thread it’s legal and plod has made a mistake. I knew someone with one of the a few years ago and she was always getting stopped but it was okay when they realised it had pedals and was electric.

He almost certainly thought it was a scooter and then didn’t want to admit he was wrong. If he has written you a ticket get in touch with the station and point out what it is that you’re riding.

Edit. I assume you weren’t riding two up because that would complicate things.
No was on my own.. to keep him happy I put my crash helmet on before continuing.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
40kg is no longer relevant. Weight restriction has been lifted, but having two seats does not make it a tandem (needs two sets of pedals). That said, it ok to Cary a passenger as long as the bike is specifically built or modified to do so.

This problem with these moped type bikes is that most traffic cops see it as a scooter, being ridden without a helmet/plates/on cycle path. Asking to be pulled.

I would suggest its a grey area, the sticking point being the pedals. Can you realistically pedal it?
Oh yes have to peddle to get going or go up hill. all sorted. Got Officers name district and badge number future reference. ;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Poor, but perhaps understandable, treatment from the cop on the path.

Your bike looks like an electric moped.

You correctly told the copper it's an ebike in terms of power and speed.

But in such circumstances, the last person the copper is going to take that from is the rider.

Reactions: robert1976

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Plod was maybe a learner as,if he believed it to be a vehicle ridden without insurance, he should have siezed it and not let you continue to ride,especially as it didnt have a number plate!
I have one of these scooters and have never seen a copper when out on it even though I have had it for 3 years now but fully expect to get stopped when I do.
I carry the sales advert with me so they can see the spec of it.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Ok Ive just had a call from police there dropping charges :) whoop whoop
Good!

Nice (& indeed the proper) outcome.

Have some sympathy for plod. We have a ridiculous over complicated myriad of rules & regulations involving vehicles & driving that we really can't blame them for getting something wrong occassionally. At least he was man enough to contact you, retract & apologise.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
One passed me last week and the odd thing that drew my attention was the rider wearing a cycle helmet. He had his feet up like on a scooter which emphasised the oddness so when I got home I googled out of interest to find lots of them on sale..
Quite an interesting ride... Perhaps more useful cumuter in bad weather.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
One passed me last week and the odd thing that drew my attention was the rider wearing a cycle helmet. He had his feet up like on a scooter which emphasised the oddness so when I got home I googled out of interest to find lots of them on sale..
Quite an interesting ride... Perhaps more useful cumuter in bad weather.
Its bit of a thing regarding helmets. I do 12 miles a day. I tend to where a crash helmet if raining to keep me dry. But they do limit you senses a hell off a lot. Cycle helmets really are not my thing at all. If you ware a crash helmet on cycle path people freak. If you ware it on road people expect you to be flying around at twice the speed. No helmet a few vehicle drivers point or rant. Personally I think a lot off these should be freedom off choice. When I wore a crash helmet in car it feels weird and really freaks people out lol.

Reactions: flecc

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Good!

Nice (& indeed the proper) outcome.

Have some sympathy for plod. We have a ridiculous over complicated myriad of rules & regulations involving vehicles & driving that we really can't blame them for getting something wrong occassionally. At least he was man enough to contact you, retract & apologise.
Yep respect for that but still cost me an hrs wages :(

Advertisers