Best derestriction for Bosch Active Line?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've searched for this, but was swamped with results, so apologies of this is a recurring subject...

Anyway, what does the panel think is the best option for derestricting a Bosch Active Line-equipped bike?

The Badass dongle seems to fit the bill, except for the speed display halving feature.

A simple installation would be nice, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty within reason.

TIA

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've gone for the Badass...

It was delivered today and, blimey, you don't get much for your £115, do you!

I get the bike on Monday.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Fitted the Badass yesterday in minutes. It worked straight away. The display shows the halved speed right from the start. I thought it would kick in doing that after 12mph. No big deal.

I rode the bike into work today and all was well. I'm out of condition and it's an unfamiliar bike, but it was still powering me along at speeds over 20mph at times.

Reactions: LeighPing

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
I modified mine for the price of two Neodymium magnets at a cost of about 60 pence. Works perfectly and didn't need to buy an expensive dongle or speedbox. I just repositioned the sensor close to the crank on the opposite side of the frame and put the magnets on the end of the pedal and it works brilliantly. Only downside is the speedo shows the wrong speed, fixed this by purchasing a separate digital speedo off ebay for £10. My BOSCH motor is an Active Line Plus

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I modified mine for the price of two Neodymium magnets at a cost of about 60 pence. Works perfectly and didn't need to buy an expensive dongle or speedbox. I just repositioned the sensor close to the crank on the opposite side of the frame and put the magnets on the end of the pedal and it works brilliantly. Only downside is the speedo shows the wrong speed, fixed this by purchasing a separate digital speedo off ebay for £10. My BOSCH motor is an Active Line Plus
Tried that on Shimano Steps, gives error after a few minutes. Bosch Gen2 motors are also meant to give error, surprised Gen3 motor doesn't..

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Tried that on Shimano Steps, gives error after a few minutes. Bosch Gen2 motors are also meant to give error, surprised Gen3 motor doesn't..
Yeah, no errors as of yet and I believe my motor is a CX3. All working OK, although to be fair I did use two magnets at 3mm thickness to enable them to be closer to the sensor. Perhaps some people are only using one and it's not close enough to the sensor, which is causing an error?

Steve.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Yeah, no errors as of yet and I believe my motor is a CX3. All working OK, although to be fair I did use two magnets at 3mm thickness to enable them to be closer to the sensor. Perhaps some people are only using one and it's not close enough to the sensor, which is causing an error?

Steve.
The tamper detect SW see extract same number of wheel revolutions as crank revolutions. After 5 minutes decides this is more than coincidence and flags error.

Your 2 magnets maybe giving 2 pulses, which fools tamper detect SW. I had speed of 10kmh, my pedal cadence. If yours is closer to 20kmh then I picking its 2 pulses.

Does anybody know what error Bosch gives when this tried and can user clear it. If so I might test my theory out.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
The tamper detect SW see extract same number of wheel revolutions as crank revolutions. After 5 minutes decides this is more than coincidence and flags error.

Your 2 magnets maybe giving 2 pulses, which fools tamper detect SW. I had speed of 10kmh, my pedal cadence. If yours is closer to 20kmh then I picking its 2 pulses.

Does anybody know what error Bosch gives when this tried and can user clear it. If so I might test my theory out.
I guess you are right with the normal Bosch motor. I believe the active line has a normal chainring with no reduction gears. It is now possible to have 32:32 or 34:34 etc so it is no longer feasible for Bosch to run that check.

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
I've never heard of Tamper Detect software and two magnets won't give two pulses, it simply creates a stronger magnetic field! I've far exceeded 5 minutes of cycling and covered many miles without issue; travelling at an average of 22mph with assistance. I am more than happy with how everything is running and will not be updating the software. As far as maintenance is concerned, I am more than capable of doing it all myself. Therefore, a Bosch dealer will not be updating my bike either.

The Bosch diagnostics software may well indicate that the bike has been pushed harder or given more assistance, but unless a dealer has the bike no one will see this. I would like to get a diagnostics dongle and iterrogate the system myself (I'm more than capable).

Steve.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
even if you bought the diagnostics hardware it wont work unless you have a bosch account.

bosch has tested motors that have had dongles fitted at the factory and a full report shows nothing.

if a dealer says they can tell if a dongle has been used there talking out there ass ;)

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
even if you bought the diagnostics hardware it wont work unless you have a bosch account.

bosch has tested motors that have had dongles fitted at the factory and a full report shows nothing.

if a dealer says they can tell if a dongle has been used there talking out there ass ;)
That's good to know, I was just interested and if a cracked dongle and software became available, I'd be interested to see what information is present that's all.

I know a few people who seem afraid to give it a go due to its against the law and all that rubbish. Its my bike and if I want to modify it, then I will do so. I'm not tearing up the high street etc. I'm just needing a bit more assistance when biking 3 mile up a steady gradient, that's all and it is perfect so far.

Steve.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not seen my vids the lol ;)

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I know a few people who seem afraid to give it a go due to its against the law and all that rubbish. Its my bike and if I want to modify it, then I will do so. I'm not tearing up the high street etc. I'm just needing a bit more assistance when biking 3 mile up a steady gradient, that's all and it is perfect so far.
Doing around 17mph for 3 miles up a steady gradient is good going. How is adding a dongle going to give you 'more assistance' in this case ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Doing around 17mph for 3 miles up a steady gradient is good going. How is adding a dongle going to give you 'more assistance' in this case ?
a dongle only removes the speed limit so it would depend on what gearing you have. ;)

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Without a dongle or modification the assistance stops at 15.5mph and then your peddling without any assistance. In my case it is much easier to pedal because I am getting continued assistance. Also, I would not want to ride much faster than 22mph because the gearing wouldn't really be correct.

Soundwave - you have been helpful thank you.

It seems so many people are negative towards a dongle or modification or maybe it is just because they have not experienced it or cannot because they have a bike that cannot be done perhaps? Yes, I'm fully aware my warranty may be void, if they can detect what I've done once I have put it back to factory settings for whatever reason.

Last edited:

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
I only posted on this thread to let people know they might not need to spend over £100 for a dongle if they can do what I have done. It works and I am happy with it and I have definitely noticed a big difference. Its quite simple really, Try it, buy an expensive dongle or forget about it.

Steve.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so what speed does it cut out at ? with a dongle you still get assistance but you need to spin the cranks @120rpm to get the most out of it as after 30mph its not giving much assistance and max rpm needed.

Advertisers